Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car Stalls suddenly on LPG. Starts again straight away.

BerlinaBen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S2 V6 + VZ Acclaim Wagon
Thanks strgas. Will try that in the morning! Just happen to have a multimeter in the shed! (I'm an electronics tech by trade, lol)
Always nice to get helpful advice!

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
no problem if its still stalling try drilling a 3mm hole in the back of the elbow in the convertor where the balance is fitted to lower the back pressure it maybe running to rich on deccel to . How much did you pay for the install ?

BerlinaBen

Reaction score
Members Ride
From memory it was $1800. About $400 out of pocket after the rebate. The installer lives next door to my mate, but he was pretty new to it all i think.

shane271184

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx clubsport r8
I had trouble whith my car stalling on gas when it was cold. it would do it just as i started to put my foot down i adjusted the idle speed up a little which seems to have fixed the problem well enuff. just an idea to try till you get it seen by someone.

BerlinaBen

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hmmm, still havent had a chance to look at it. My wife has had the car whenever I've had time to check it out. Maybe this weekend I will get time. Will post the results

BerlinaBen

Reaction score
Members Ride
Checked the O2 sensor today. It was reading 320mV while idling in gear. I've adjusted the idle mixture till it came up to 610mV. Will see how it goes over the next week.
Thanks for the help Strgas and Shane.

BerlinaBen

Reaction score
Members Ride
seems to be running ok so far. My wife was impressd that it didn't stall on her this morning. Will keep an eye on it and see how it goes i guess.

BerlinaBen

Reaction score
Members Ride
So far so good. Hasn't stalled since I adjusted the idle mixture.
Thanks.

mateyVTII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II V6
LPG converter Balance hose\pipe incorrectly installed casing stall, stalls, stalling

hi there, the fix is easy. the balance hose that is coming off the back of the converter has been installed incorrectly.

It should not go all the way through the air box and then up the snorkel and stop around the opening of the snorkel. The hose will not balance the ram air pressure when installed like this which is a common installers mistake!!!.............. UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The simple fix is unclip the lid on your filter box, take out the air filter, and you should now see the hose going straight through your air box.

cut the hose with something suitable like a stanley knife (BE VERY CAREFUL) so only about 1 inch of hose is sticking out in your airbox and simply pull the rest of the hose out of the air box and snorkel and do what ever you want with it, just get it out!

You should only use the type of air filter that it was tuned to when you got the conversion done. for example if you got your LPG conversion tuned with a standard air filter, installing a high flow air filter will put the mixture out of whack.

your problem is an easy fix. the balance line was way too long for starters, and in a stupid place where it could not balance out the air pressure that your mixer was getting from the ram flow.

If you do what I say, you will be fine.

Balance line should always be as short as possible, and installed from the back of the converter running into your air box under the air filter known as the dirty side, and should only go into the filter box around one inch, and should also be pointing towards the airflow coming in to the air box. in a vt commodore scenario the hose should enter from the back of the box and point straight forward towards the headlight in direction.

The air box will provide you with the exact pressure it needs to keep the mixture happy.

sticking out the snorkel or even sitting a little inside is stupid and useless! there is no way it can get the correct pressure and your car will always lean out and stall under certain circumstances and coditions.

very dangerous when going down steep hills and you are on the brakes and stall......amonst other bad situations.

If worse came to worse you could even take off the cold air intake snorkel completely and remove the balance pipe off the converter completely, but DO NOT block off the hose connector that the balance pipe\hose was connected to on the converter, just leave it open with no hose attached.

All you would be doing is instead of getting cool air from the front of the car you would be using air that is in the engine bay just like the good old days with older cars. just dont block the opening that is left on the air box from where the snorkel used to be as that is where your engine will be getting its air from, and the converter should work quite well with no balance pipe\hose at all. just remember to not block off the fitting where the hose used to slip on to on the converter.

This second fix is for extreme troublesome situations only. My first fix should be fine.

at the end of the day, my first initial fix should work fine in 99.9% of cases like this one using the balace pipe just 1 inch inside the air box under the air filter being the dirtier side, and you can keep your cold air intake snorkel and be happy and safe and keep your car!!!!!!!

You are not on your own! this is way more common than you think!

All I can say is installers should know better.....they could kill somebody!!!!!!!!!!

this should sort out your problem berlinaben and anybody else with this same issue.

CHEEEEEEERS EVERYONE!

bushsalmon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn sI 3800 stocker
hi there, the fix is easy. the balance hose that is coming off the back of the converter has been installed incorrectly.

It should not go all the way through the air box and then up the snorkel and stop around the opening of the snorkel. The hose will not balance the ram air pressure when installed like this which is a common installers mistake!!!.............. UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The simple fix is unclip the lid on your filter box, take out the air filter, and you should now see the hose going straight through your air box.

cut the hose with something suitable like a stanley knife (BE VERY CAREFUL) so only about 1 inch of hose is sticking out in your airbox and simply pull the rest of the hose out of the air box and snorkel and do what ever you want with it, just get it out!

You should only use the type of air filter that it was tuned to when you got the conversion done. for example if you got your LPG conversion tuned with a standard air filter, installing a high flow air filter will put the mixture out of whack.

your problem is an easy fix. the balance line was way too long for starters, and in a stupid place where it could not balance out the air pressure that your mixer was getting from the ram flow.

If you do what I say, you will be fine.

Balance line should always be as short as possible, and installed from the back of the converter running into your air box under the air filter known as the dirty side, and should only go into the filter box around one inch, and should also be pointing towards the airflow coming in to the air box. in a vt commodore scenario the hose should enter from the back of the box and point straight forward towards the headlight in direction.

The air box will provide you with the exact pressure it needs to keep the mixture happy.

sticking out the snorkel or even sitting a little inside is stupid and useless! there is no way it can get the correct pressure and your car will always lean out and stall under certain circumstances and coditions.

very dangerous when going down steep hills and you are on the brakes and stall......amonst other bad situations.

If worse came to worse you could even take off the cold air intake snorkel completely and remove the balance pipe off the converter completely, but DO NOT block off the hose connector that the balance pipe\hose was connected to on the converter, just leave it open with no hose attached.

All you would be doing is instead of getting cool air from the front of the car you would be using air that is in the engine bay just like the good old days with older cars. just dont block the opening that is left on the air box from where the snorkel used to be as that is where your engine will be getting its air from, and the converter should work quite well with no balance pipe\hose at all. just remember to not block off the fitting where the hose used to slip on to on the converter.

This second fix is for extreme troublesome situations only. My first fix should be fine.

at the end of the day, my first initial fix should work fine in 99.9% of cases like this one using the balace pipe just 1 inch inside the air box under the air filter being the dirtier side, and you can keep your cold air intake snorkel and be happy and safe and keep your car!!!!!!!

You are not on your own! this is way more common than you think!

All I can say is installers should know better.....they could kill somebody!!!!!!!!!!

this should sort out your problem berlinaben and anybody else with this same issue.

CHEEEEEEERS EVERYONE!

Hey good write-up mate, having issues stalling on gas with my vt series 2 berlina. With reguards to the balance hose going straight through the airbox; mine doesnt do that. the hose goes from the back of the convertor straight past the airbox and enters the box end of the snorkel with a 20mm brass elbow inside the snorkel. the brass elbow fitting is only lose, and im pretty sure the elbow was inverted so the open end was facing back toward the filter and not toward intake, would this have any dramatic effect on idling. it idles terribly and stalls straight after starting when cold (sometimes when hot)
Thanks- Dan.