Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car Stalls suddenly on LPG. Starts again straight away.

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
it's happened twice to my newly installed LPG the first time i heard a strange click and thought nothing of it and like you 100 m later the car stops and i'm able to start it straight away

2nd time same thing but this time i noticed the the trac light was out leading me to think that some safety solenoid is tripping

i would for check an earth problem

bushsalmon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn sI 3800 stocker
it's happened twice to my newly installed LPG the first time i heard a strange click and thought nothing of it and like you 100 m later the car stops and i'm able to start it straight away

2nd time same thing but this time i noticed the the trac light was out leading me to think that some safety solenoid is tripping

i would for check an earth problem

Yeah interesting thought. Seems my problem only exists on startup and at idle though. I have no such problems of stalling when driving, thanks anyway. ps i dont have trac ctrl.
Cheers, Dan

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
that's the 2 times it happened after starting car

when i first had it installed i had to take it back to get the switch over time adjusted from petrol to gas as it was at times hard start it runs perfectly now

just a thought

bushsalmon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn sI 3800 stocker
that's the 2 times it happened after starting car

when i first had it installed i had to take it back to get the switch over time adjusted from petrol to gas as it was at times hard start it runs perfectly now

just a thought
Oska That sounds more like it now actually. I think ill look further into getting the time extended that it takes to switch to gas (hopefully its not a hard set parameter on my system). Might also invest in a multimeter that has a millivolt scale to read the 02 sensor's output voltage at idle. might richen it up a tad.Thanks- Dan.

JAKE-26

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Exec
hey mate this could be a stupid answer but i didn't see you discuss anywhere the turn over from petrol to gas.
on cold mornings if i start my car in the morning for the first time that day, my car takes a minute or so to change from petrol to gas (lights on guage just flash until it clicks over) and sometimes it stalls when it changes over. I just run on petrol for the first few minutes then press the change button, and it swaps over straight away with no problems!

jughead1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Executive
I know this is an old thread, but I have a similar problem.

My car (VX Series II) has just been converted to LPG.

It now stalls sometimes, but when hot. It happened several times, once at the top of a long hill, once on the same hill, but going down hill (just after filling with LPG after a 40 KM run on petrol).

When this fiorst started, the Check Engine light would come on for a while, but since changing the O2 sensors this does not happen.

It is a bit better now that I have changed the O2 sensore, but still happens sometimes. Also the idle (in gear, but stopped at traffic lights) varies - sometimes it is at 1250 RPM, mostly at about 750 RPM.

Any ideas?

(I will have a look at the Balance Line tonight.

I believe my system is an Impco system.

Cheers,

JG

mateyVTII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II V6
It sounds like the balance pipe or line, whichever you prefer to call it. Make sure it is coming from the converter into the bottom half of your air filter box, and only about 1 inch inside the box facing directly where the air comes in.

The heat has nothing to do with it.

Cheers and good luck, hope it works as I'm sure it will.

cor3yz

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT Wagon Exec / VK 202 EFI
As above if the system has a balance tube. There must be a 1/8 hole drilled into the elbow at the convertor to relieve backpressure.

Also if you have a water leak the convertor will freeze up and shut itself down. A pretty common problem actually