Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

car storage

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Get yourself a cTek, it will look after your battery while you are gone. Handy little things to have around too.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I have a 800ma trickle charger for mine, Even if it's sitting for 4days I will use it.
If you can put it up on blocks so the tyres don't get a flat spot on them that would be good. Or if you have 4 old rims/tyres of no value that you could put on instead.
I would put some kind of sealant over the engine so the alloy doesn't oxidise as well (I love shiney engine though) oxidised engine looks crap - Maybe a silicon spray will do it for ya?
Wax the outside to add a layer of protection on the paint.
And I would change the engine oil BEFORE you go away. That way all the contaminants in the oil are gone and only fresh oil (free of moisture) remains.

Best of luck

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
I reckon the battery is the least of your concerns tbh. If it dies it dies, easy fix.
It's the fluids in the car that can cause you issues if not factored properly

Is there an option for a friend to take it for a spin once a week?
If not, I'd be hesitant in leaving a car just sitting there for 5 months with no prep.

Also, I wouldnt worry too much about the oil for only 5 months... that can easily be changed on return without issues, but the other fluids are much more concerning.
Fuel goes stale surprisingly quick, so before you leave make sure there is jack all fuel in the fuel tank... that way there wont be much to drain later if theres issues.
When you get back, fill the tank at home using a jerry can so you dilute the stale fuel with the fresh fuel.

I'd also be worried about having the car sitting there and the coolant/coolant pump not being circulated. But 5 months should be ok. Any longer and I'd seriously be considering draining all fluids.
And if the car isnt going to be moved in months, jack it up. It's not just the tyres you need to be worried about, its the bearings.

You'll save a lot of hassles if you can get someone to take it for a 30min drive every week or so while away. Just so you can get it to operating temp and have all the fluids circulating.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Wow! I'm surprise so many people are this worried about letting a car sit for 6 months or less.

I've had several that have sat for 4-10 months and never had an issue with any fluids, tyres, fuel pumps etc. Althought I have a car sitting for a few years now and I do expect issues with that cos you know brake fluid is only good for 2 years etc etc

iphonerleo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Z SERIES
i surprised so many helps here, thx a lot guys~~I'll take all tips in mind :)

Redline16

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII SSV Redline Manual
Just FYI, The rego can only be paid 3 months later after its due otherwise you need a roadworthy again.

iphonerleo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Z SERIES
is it difficult to get it done??? sounds not cheap tho~