Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car very fumey after cam

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
The Euro 5 cats on the Magnum are physically smaller than the Euro 4 cats on the Maloo?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
This Cam bloke ... do you know what he was eating before spending time in your car?!

Leon771

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII SS-V Redline Sportwagon
W407 on our car. Lots of fumes. Took it back and some exhaust bolts were tightened. This improved it somewhat but still there. Have gotten used to it now.
Borrowed a carbon monoxide detector from work and it was off the chart before the bolts were tightened. Now we just have the smell and CO seems to be under control.

Not sure what cats Walkinshaw kits come with - at time of purchase I had thought it was 100 cel that was quoted.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
W407 on our car. Lots of fumes. Took it back and some exhaust bolts were tightened. This improved it somewhat but still there. Have gotten used to it now.
Borrowed a carbon monoxide detector from work and it was off the chart before the bolts were tightened. Now we just have the smell and CO seems to be under control.

Not sure what cats Walkinshaw kits come with - at time of purchase I had thought it was 100 cel that was quoted.
W407 uses stock cats

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
W407 uses stock cats
Are you sure? I thought the W407 had the full DPE / Walkinshaw exhaust set up and I thought that was 200 cpi cats?

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
Nope, they were/are required to use the standard cats for emissions compliance

https://www.walkinshawperformance.com.au/w-series/w407/
Read the second paragraph of text.

“In addition to the Walkinshaw Performance camshaft, the package makes use of a full stainless steel, stepped exhaust system, ceramic coated 4 into 1 long tube headers and high flow catalytic converters and an over the radiator cold air intake to gather”

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Read the second paragraph of text.

“In addition to the Walkinshaw Performance camshaft, the package makes use of a full stainless steel, stepped exhaust system, ceramic coated 4 into 1 long tube headers and high flow catalytic converters and an over the radiator cold air intake to gather”
If the OP was kind enough to take a photo of the cats that would clear it up

Whilst it is in the big speil, it isn't in the parts list supplied below, I would have assumed that the W407 kit would be emissions compliant as it was a dealer option on new cars at some stealerships????

Meh

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Anything Walkinshaw is overrated IMHO. I would never choose it.
I think my OTR is Walkinshaw and I'm not wrapped in it. Others out there that fit better and look nicer. Walkinshaw suspension is nothing to rave about.... I don't know about Walkinshaw exhausts but if they are anything like their other products they're overrated.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
There's insufficient room to retain stock cats with long tube headers. In SA, the stock cats and their location must be retained and it's the reason Pacemaker (an SA company) did a shorty header similar to the HSV headers to comply with SA's exhaust modification rules. Long tubes won't pass a rego inspection in SA and they'll make you refit the stock cat arrangement. However, if you present a car with stock piped cats (zero cell), the car will pass a rego inspection no problems!

There's only one place authorised to emission test cars in SA and they conduct a full ADR compliant emission test. I believe in some states, emission compliance can be conducted by authorised workshops with an exhausts gas analyser?