Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

car wont start at random

lufkin

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Manual LS1 Statesman & VT V6 Calais
hi guys need help, so tonight it was our local Christmas pageant, took the partner and child down to it, walked back to car turned key and nothing, all dash lights are on like usual, checked voltage all perfect, but when I turn to start absolutely nothing. Luckily I was parked on a hill, did a hill start everything was fine. Drove home and turned it off, quickly went to restart to test it, started perfectly. So thought you beauty she’s fine, we then later went out to a friend’s house, car started perfectly to go out, and just now leaving friend’s house same thing nothing, had to get a push start.

what could it possibly be today is first time its ever happened, someone mentioned maybe key isn’t contacted ignition properly and has something to do with immobiliser, I really have no idea and need help please

PS sorry for long winded story

So far checked all fuses under bonnet and dash
checked wiring to starter motor
checked battery voltage both off and whilst started (nothing wrong there)

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
The start relay may be sticking.
The next time it does it,
have someone start the car and stick you finger on the start relay and see if you can feel/hear it click.

Or the starter solenoid might be faulty.
Give it a whack with a screw driver the next time it does it.

Anglosaxon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2
Did you get the starter thing sorted mate? My vt was doing exactly that for ages i couldnt figure it out, jump in turn the key and absolutely nothing, i could hear the starter solenoid click so thought it was ok, but it turned out the starter contacts inside the solenoid were worn out, the solenoid would throw ok but not make a good contact to close the circuit and turn the starter.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

lufkin

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Manual LS1 Statesman & VT V6 Calais
Hi mate. Touch wood so far so good. After previous post I thought stuff it relays are cheap and I just replaced the relay under bonnet. So far has started perfectly. So praying that was the problem and it's not gonna happen again

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sparky_man63

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 vx ss sedan
Hi, has anyone else struck this issue? I had a vu ss ute which would do this randomly from time to time, ignition lights all on security light out so immobiliser has deactivated turn the key to start and nothing. Solenoid didn't click unsure about relay but hard to diagnose by yourself. Everytime I got it looked at it would go fine. Finally got starter motor removed and tested they said there was nothing wrong with it but it didn't do it again for the next three months then I sold it. I have recently purchased a series 1 VX ss and went down to the shops the other day and it did the same thing. I ended up turning the key repeatedly from on to start and eventually it turned over, But again hasn't done it again since, Any Ideas?

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
We had the same problem and after replacing the battery we never had the problem again : )