Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cause of ticking

MACE

Reaction score
Well as long as 2 turns is not risking bottoming out the lifters i'll just leave it and send the bastard to the exhaust shop. The car has landed on the extractors going over speed humps so maybe there's a crack that they could find.

Lifters have around 180thou of travel from memory so you'll be right

Please keep us posted :)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I have heard of someone who set there hydraulic lifters much like solid lifters using adjustable rockers, prevents any lifter collapse but you need to be careful with lifter pump up. Also makes the valve train a little more noisy.

MACE

Reaction score
I have heard of someone who set there hydraulic lifters much like solid lifters using adjustable rockers, prevents any lifter collapse but you need to be careful with lifter pump up. Also makes the valve train a little more noisy.

I'm tipping he had a lot of lifter crush!

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammed mafless VS Calais 5-speed.
I just had a reputable exhaust shop have a listen. He thinks the top end sounds great and the tick is the sound of the gasses in the extractors. He gave me a number of a guy who does ceramic insulation on the inside of the pipes. Apparently it makes a world of difference. If I get that done i'll post back with results.

MACE

Reaction score
I just had a reputable exhaust shop have a listen. He thinks the top end sounds great and the tick is the sound of the gasses in the extractors. He gave me a number of a guy who does ceramic insulation on the inside of the pipes. Apparently it makes a world of difference. If I get that done i'll post back with results.
Ah excellent :D

In regards to the tick, I'm a little skeptical that ceramic coating will help considerably with the sound.

Before ripping anything off please consider what I've written previously

"Ok I just shot 100 PSI up the exhaust pipe and got under the car with soapy water. I found some leaks around the flanges which I have repaired with new gaskets, bolts and high temp silicone. The noise is still identical so it wasn't that. MACE, if I buy your CROW lifters do you have the specs for preload so I can determine whether or not I need longer/shorter pushrods?"
Yes that's not a problem

"Does anyone else have tuned length extractors? I'm wondering if this is amplified valve noise"
Before changing lifters I would try somehow physically mount this material to each header (or use exhaust wrap to a lesser degree)

ACL Race Series Heat Shield Material

This will dampen help in dampening the sound.

Please keep us posted

Cheers,
Steve

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammed mafless VS Calais 5-speed.
This is different to normal ceramic coating. Some sort of insulation applied to the inside of the pipes apparently. I've never heard of it personally. He also mentioned that internal modifications exacerbate the problem, which sounds logical.

MACE

Reaction score
This is different to normal ceramic coating. Some sort of insulation applied to the inside of the pipes apparently. I've never heard of it personally. He also mentioned that internal modifications exacerbate the problem, which sounds logical.

The internal mods sides of things is correct. As for the coating I'm still skeptical, I suppose there is only one way to find out I guess :)