Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ChAnGiNg GeArS In AuTo

Stretcher Bearer

A.R.N.G.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 SOCOG Exec 9C1
I would think it would depend on the angle of descent. i.e. a fairly seept hill means gravity pull the car harder and if the incline speed is above that of the trans then it's woring harder. If it's juts keeping you there then perhaps it less effort on the trans.

Then again some of the best emergency drivers have said, brakes are for braking, transmissions are for moving.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
how can selecting 1st make it take off faster? the gear ratio stays the same
and it shouldnt over rev as the PCM will force a gearchange at WOT based on road speed anyway

Rob

vy_pete05

Please rate my feedback
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VY Exec SII
it seems to take of a little quicker, but leaving it in 1st does cause it to over rev...it doesnt change gears then as it is stuck in 1st, flick her up to 2, 3, D and the revs come down, the car drives smoother, just the way it happens mate...

cliffo78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline, VL Exec, VY Berlina
VT_PETE05, Doc Bob is right, the PCM will force an upshift from 1st to 2nd before the rev-limiter, even if you have "1" selected. May be different for VN/VP, but I know for a fact that VR onwards has this (rather annoying) feature. It will, however rev to the limiter in 2nd.

Hence, there is no benefit in doing a manual 1-2 change in a straight line run with a standard transmission (ie no quick shift mods, etc). The only real benefit in using the "1" position in a racing/drag situation would be where you need to use engine braking (once you have finished accelerating) where your speed is not going to exceed the range of first gear (for example when approaching a corner).

As a footnote I think the 1-2 forced change can be dangerous when using 1st to control speed whilst cornering.

vy_pete05

Please rate my feedback
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VY Exec SII
well thanx for the info, helped out heaps, spose i will just drive the auto as an auto

Misaprop

black betty
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
the power button redlines it anyway, why bother to change when dragging? wasting your time.

would only be worthwhile if you are coasting behind somebody and then flick it to third or second for a quick overtake... i used to do it with my VN (until it got stolen and stripped)... VT i just floor it gradually for a steady quick acceleration

trepaul

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina 308
as far as i understand, it is a lot cheaper to replace pads/rotors than engines/gearbox, so why use engine breaking?

R

rattattack1313

trepaul said:
as far as i understand, it is a lot cheaper to replace pads/rotors than engines/gearbox, so why use engine breaking?
I use the engine braking in certain conditions....like having to pull up quickly.(used in conjunction with the brakes..).......and when I don't want to use the brakes.....just pop it from Blue D to White D..... :thumbsup:

vy_pete05

Please rate my feedback
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VY Exec SII
good point about the difference in costs to replace...but it does help when over taking if u drop it down a gear or 2...

Indy_387

Reaction score
Not sure about your VT's guys. But I have never felt the need to change gears to overtake in an auto... if you floor it, it will downshift anyway!