Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ChAnGiNg GeArS In AuTo

R

rattattack1313

Indy_387 said:
Not sure about your VT's guys. But I have never felt the need to change gears to overtake in an auto... if you floor it, it will downshift anyway!

Yea. it will, but only when it decides to...I don't particularly like a peice of metal telling me what to do..............I quite often drop it back to the White D to overtake etc etc.......

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
VT shifts down fine

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: when overtaking in my vt( i dont overtake a lot) i find when overtaking the auto in the vt shifts down in a nice smooth manner.....and i suppose if i realy wanted to shift a little faster i could use the power button.................??? what is the best time to use the power button????................cheers
:thumbsup:

R

rattattack1313

"what is the best time to use the power button???"......just before you plant it mate...... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
better power button then floor it

it seem heaps better with the power button pushed in and then put the foot down.......but if i just put the foot down it does a nice job also............i aint realy thrashed the vt yet,,,,,,i gave it a run to test the leads....my vp is much faster off the mark......the vt is pretty heavy also.........cheeeers :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Indy_387

Reaction score
justbad4you said:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: when overtaking in my vt( i dont overtake a lot) i find when overtaking the auto in the vt shifts down in a nice smooth manner.....and i suppose if i realy wanted to shift a little faster i could use the power button.................??? what is the best time to use the power button????................cheers
:thumbsup:

I don't ever use the Power button. I only see it as a waste of fuel.

Cheers.

Misaprop

black betty
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
without power it seems to shift at about 4.5k revs... with power button it redlines it. goes quite hard with power button on.

Stretcher Bearer

A.R.N.G.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 SOCOG Exec 9C1
I thought the power button actually altered the change points so it appears more responsive.

It's actually great for short burst or stop start driving rather than the lag as you move thruogh low gears in peak hour.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
OLS108 said:
Changing gears in an Auto will always Be slower then just Leaving it in 3rd with Power on , its been porven for myself with over 60 1/4 passes, and plenty of mates with over 1000's passes between us !

I believe that, but as soon as you get in a stock car or really lightly modified car like a vn or vs v6. I think manually changing will win everytime.

mitch01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX exec. ser.1
Indy_387 said:
I don't ever use the Power button. I only see it as a waste of fuel.

Yeah I thought this as well so decided to actually test the theory. I average about 11.9 L/100km with my regular driving.
I decided to run through a whole tank in power mode to see the difference and it worked out to be 12.1 L/100km.
This works out to be less than $1.50 per tank of a difference which is pretty negligible in my book.
Anyone else tried this?

cliffo78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline, VL Exec, VY Berlina
Yes I have tried this, I didn't note the exact consumption figure but there wasn't a huge difference. The PWR button changes shift points at partial throttle openings, but it doesn't change the shift point at full throttle, it will rev out to the redline with PWR on or off (sorry Misaprop). Hence when you are driving conservatively, the car will "feel" more responsive because it wont change up as early, but in the bigger picture the increase in fuel consumption is only marginal.