Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] Changing head bolts

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yeah but look at the size and number of bolts on that sucker. He says you don't need to upgrade until they fail, that is a good point but when you apply a lot of boost to something with only 4 small bolts per cylinder it's going to fail a lot faster than what he's got there in front of him. GM actually put a lot of thought into that motor with input from himself.

Draimond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive
Ecotec head bolts are a known upgrade point when increasing cylinder pressure.
CornFedBoost tapped Ethel a size up in head bolts and had a gasket failure not that long after nearly hitting the 1000hp mark on that V6

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
if ur pushing 1000 hp on a ecotec then u better have copper head gaskets or orings to keep that boost level contained within, head studs wont help much with a normal head gasket for those pressures

Draimond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive
guess what's missing from what I wrote above was that he got a lot of engine time (at lower power / boost levels) running ARP studs & a MLS gasket.

I'm fuzzy on his long ecotec journey but I think he blew a few head gaskets over the years and iterations of Ethel and her multiple engines. Each time he improved the head sealing he also bumped the power target so it became a bit of a cyclical thing.

I’m taking an educated guess in thinking that the basic ARP 8740 with a Mace MLS gasket will hold 14 PSI and 400HP

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I think he blew a gasket fairly much each time he was after more powa or gave it a good thrashing out on the track.

Unfortunately there is only so much you can do with 4 bolts per cylinder. The LS guys have the same issue with big power/high boost.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I think he blew a gasket fairly much each time he was after more powa or gave it a good thrashing out on the track.

Unfortunately there is only so much you can do with 4 bolts per cylinder. The LS guys have the same issue with big power/high boost.
But LS guys (with pockets) can switch up to SML block heads...

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Ecotec head bolts are a known upgrade point when increasing cylinder pressure.
CornFedBoost tapped Ethel a size up in head bolts and had a gasket failure not that long after nearly hitting the 1000hp mark on that V6
The creations that come from his garage are amazing.