Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cheap leagal way to lower car

vr1uz-fe

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina
any modification to a car that diviates from the adr rules of the year of manufacture is illegal

it's just a fine print sort of thing to rego and rta it is not a big deal as technicly you wouldent be able to use urathane bushes or any aftermarket part it just bull but it's still writen in the adr mubo book somewhere

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
You just said that anything that deviates from the ADR of the year of manufacture is illegal... So by your own admission, not every mod is illegal. Lowering is legal if it retains a certain height (100mm) and 2/3 of it's factory suspension travel. If you can lower it without breaking these two, it is legal.

Same for bushes etc. Aftermarket parts are legal, as long as they do not break any particular ADRs. There are no ADRs that state that every suspension component must be made of the original material of manufacture, because that would be a damn stupid idea. It would limit future repairs to older technology in the case of rubber bushes on old cars etc.

Put simply; mods are legal if they do not break any ADRs. Simple. The only exception is if your car is considered to be a custom build, in which case it has to meet the current year's ADRs.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
You just said that anything that deviates from the ADR of the year of manufacture is illegal... So by your own admission, not every mod is illegal. Lowering is legal if it retains a certain height (100mm) and 2/3 of it's factory suspension travel. If you can lower it without breaking these two, it is legal.

Same for bushes etc. Aftermarket parts are legal, as long as they do not break any particular ADRs. There are no ADRs that state that every suspension component must be made of the original material of manufacture, because that would be a damn stupid idea. It would limit future repairs to older technology in the case of rubber bushes on old cars etc.

Put simply; mods are legal if they do not break any ADRs. Simple. The only exception is if your car is considered to be a custom build, in which case it has to meet the current year's ADRs.

But anything can be defected by a cop :p Legal or illegal :)

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
But anything can be defected by a cop :p Legal or illegal :)

Correct, but not what was being discussed :p

To vr1uz-fe;
Why didn't you return to the forum under your original username, Dynoryder? Forgot your password, or justs wanted to be a different suspension mechanic? :p

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
vr1uz-fe;
You claim to be a "mechanic", though I'm yet to see you provide anything other then very rudimentary understanding of any facet of a motor vehicle. How can you claim to have any credibility when all you provide is vague generalizations?

VTLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 LS1 -VX S2 SS LS1
This thread has kinda gone off topic,as for vr1uz-fe comments about mods being illegal,well thats a load of bs if ever i heard it. If a mods not adr compliant it wont be sold to the general public,Its as simple as that. A urethane bush isnt illegal,they are adr compliant,they are made of a harder rubber compound so to the testing authorities way of thinking it makes the vehicle more safer etc. Car manufactures wont put them in because their aim is to decrease manufacture costs & increase profit. 90% of car parts you buy through normal means are adr compliant,if they arent they are removed from sale. The 10% is for the odd thing that sneaks through or is considered not for street use. If anything is custom built it then falls into the category of having to be engineer certified to ensure it complies with any & all regulations the vehicle is intended for.
On a lighter side years ago i used to heat my springs with a gas torch to lower the vehicle,it was a bugger try to make them even all round. Heating them does affect them but we used old motor oil to cool them down which resulted in them retaining most if not all their original strength. This is why when you sharpen a drill bit or chisel you are supposed to cool them down with oil not water as it helps retain their integral strength:)

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
If a mods not adr compliant it wont be sold to the general public,Its as simple as that.

HAHAHAHAHA you have no idea buddy. Have you ever wandered into a supercheap? Half the light globes they sell are illegal. Don't even get me started on the aftermarket steering wheels and such.

VTLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 LS1 -VX S2 SS LS1
HAHAHAHAHA you have no idea buddy. Have you ever wandered into a supercheap? Half the light globes they sell are illegal. Don't even get me started on the aftermarket steering wheels and such.

If you read all my answer i did say 90% is adr compliant & 10% sneaks through or isnt considered for street use. This is where places like supercheap get away with selling the stuff because they just turn around & say well its not intended for street use. So i do have some idea:p