Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cheap leagal way to lower car

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Erm how do you figure that?

The car in question has progressive rate springs just like the replacement, so the end of the spring you cut will remove the softer normal ride part of the springs, changing the overall compression spring rate.

As the springs are a captive spring especially in the rear if load is taken off the spring there is a good risk of them falling out of position.

For the cost of doing it properly I cant understand why anyone would even bother cutting them.

Scott

Lexx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II S/C S
I love it when people talk about facts and don't even know the facts!! Cutting your springs IS dangerous as vkberlina has said above.
Ever wonder why lowered springs have more coils? I believe it is to increase the spring rate to compensate for the lower spring to help avoid your suspension bottoming out. If you cut your coils you might as well not bother having coils in there first place!! One good bump and they will probably fall out anyway.

DazVYSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYSSM6
Also all springs end with the top and bottom flat so they can sit in the strut plates cut em and now they end poking upward and try there hardest to pop out of the strut plates or a plus side you can save thousands of dollars by cutting your springs because you no longer have to insure your car no point if they wont pay out anyway if your cars a $200 shitta then cut your springs if its worth something to you pay the $400 and let a pro do it.

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
Regardless of whether anyone thinks it is not dangerous (which it bloody well is lol), that is irrelevent to the question. He asked for cheap LEGAL ways to lower, chopping springs sure as hell isn't legal, so can we stick to giving him the advice he asked for not cheap dodgy illegal alternatives.

bigazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive S2
im cuttin the coils on my vk man every 1 in geelong does it i dont care how ruff it drives it 2 f#$#in high

Lexx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II S/C S
bigazza said:
im cuttin the coils on my vk man every 1 in geelong does it i dont care how ruff it drives it 2 f#$#in high
You picked out a coffin yet?? Hope you don't take any innocent people with you when you go.
Why not just save some $$$ and do it properly? Or did your stereo gear set you back too much :rofl:

bigazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive S2
nah it didnt its only for a lil bit dats all like ive had m8s that have cut coil off proper lowering springs the legal limit 4 a car is the size of a coke can sitting up straight thats lowest u can go

Lexx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II S/C S
bigazza said:
nah it didnt its only for a lil bit dats all like ive had m8s that have cut coil off proper lowering springs the legal limit 4 a car is the size of a coke can sitting up straight thats lowest u can go

Can you repeat that in english please!! :whistling

As for the Coke can, I think you'll find that the height is 100mm or something like that ( which is about the height of a can of Coke. But only when empty. )

bigazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive S2
i foun the cheapest way ur gonna be able 2 lower ur car about 2 inch they cost bout 55 at the moment n its not cutting disks there called coil locks

L

lowVt18s

spend the money and get some decent lowered springs its safer and will be cheaper in the long run even if they are second hand........ quality springs make the ride a bit better too