Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Check engine light on cold start

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
The scanner I'm using is an ANCEL AD310 OBDII/EOBD+CAN. I have tried a different more expensive scanner and same code.

I'm thinking I might change the coils and spark plugs (they're almost due). It seems like a relatively easy and cheap thing to do and then I can rule them out.

Battery is fine.

Is it worth trying a fuel cleaner in case there's water that may be causing this?
My SV6 did this at around 120,000kms odd. Would multiple misfire on a cold start but was fine after a minute or two. I changed the spark plugs as they were at the end of their service life and it was ok again.

Conzo97

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
My SV6 did this at around 120,000kms odd. Would multiple misfire on a cold start but was fine after a minute or two. I changed the spark plugs as they were at the end of their service life and it was ok again.
Interesting. I'll do the plugs first and go from there since the coils are a little pricier. Thanks!

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Interesting. I'll do the plugs first and go from there since the coils are a little pricier. Thanks!

Maybe just re-gap the Plugs first as a test ?
Gap them to 1mm,
if you don't have a gapping tool, there is 2 options -
  1. Supercheap have a gapping coin, that can be used for multiple gap sizes, approx. $1.50 https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/sca-sca-spark-plug-gap-gauge-coin/344862.html
  2. Or use a 5c piece, which is 1.1mm on the edge.
Either way, check your plugs first, as age/kilometrage is always a factor, and can start to break down as they get older.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Nothings been done to the plugs - I don't think they're scheduled to be replaced for another 15000 Kms.
Again, I received the same code this morning on another cold morning. It doesn't specify a cylinder. And again, the light was on with a rough idle for about 20 seconds and then it ran absolutely fine with the light switching off. ESP also switched off with the rough idle.

Before I take it to a mechanic (tight on money) can I try any straight forward troubleshoots at home? I have the Haynes manual which should help.
Thanks!

Going by the link @VS_Pete provide in comment #4, pending you have some tools to try an diagnose the fault, give it a go.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
About a week ago I started my 3.0 sidi omega parked on grass on an extremely cold morning.
Parking a car on grass in cold weather can cause condensation within the engine bay as the engine and air temp cool down… so water could pool around leads and could and such, causing idle issues which go away with a little heat…

And old leads, plugs and coils can also cause issues as already mentioned…
Is it worth trying a fuel cleaner in case there's water that may be causing this?
If it’s been parked on the grass for a while, air could make its way into the tank bringing in moisture with it.

Moisture inside the tank will condense and that little bit of water could cause misfires as water and fuel don’t mix.

Add that to potentially stale fuel and you could get more misfires. Never discount a bad batch of fuel…

You could try putting a cup of metho in the tank as that allows any small amounts of water to mix with the fuel and then be better consumed by the engine… You could also run a couple of tanks of good fuel with some injector cleaner if you haven’t done such, it can’t really hurt… especially if the car has been sitting for a while…

Just note that some injector cleaners warn that after a couple bottles have been run through the engine, the engine oil and filter should be replaced ;)

Conzo97

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Update: I checked the spark plugs. They didn't look too bad but were very carboned up (pitch black). The gap seemed fine. I replaced them with laser iridiums yesterday and the car started this morning with no check engine light! Obviously I'll need longer to know for sure, though. I also added some cheap injector cleaner and metho to the fuel tank.
Thanks for all the help and I'll update if the light comes back on.