Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

check powertrain error when gear changing

$heepy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz tonner
just wondering what could be the problem with a vz alloytech 4 speed.

the problem im having seems to be when in normal mode on the gear selector when revving hard (6000rpm +-) between gear changes it will throw up the check powertrain error light and will run roughly until you can get a chance to get off the road turn it off and start again. once cycled off and on it will run fine until you are overtaking or revving the engine hard again.

if you have the car in power mode it hasnt done this yet.

the trans oil is full on the dipstick albeit a bit brown, but definately not burnt badly or anything.

has anyone had this problem before? all my google seaching comes up with other errors which cause the check powertrain to come up but nothing specifically relating to this problem.

thanks.

$heepy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz tonner
nah havent scanned it yet,, i will have access to a scanner sometime next week, just wondering whether anyone has had this problem before though

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
when checking the stick level the car most have been driving for 20 min then you check it while still running , when was the last time the trans filter got replaced. called be a solenoid to

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
I assume you are selecting the gears manually on an auto box and manging it in each gear?
May I suggest may be you're overdoing the revving ( 6000+ rpm!!) between gear changes, on I assume a standard engine and gear box?

Infuri

Reaction score
Hey sheepy, I am having the exact problem on my 2006 SVZ. If I rev the car in neutral, the error does not show, but if the revs go above 2.5-3k, the check powertrain light comes on and the car has a really rough idle. Have you had yours checked yet?

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
just wondering what could be the problem with a vz alloytech 4 speed.

the problem im having seems to be when in normal mode on the gear selector when revving hard (6000rpm +-) between gear changes it will throw up the check powertrain error light and will run roughly until you can get a chance to get off the road turn it off and start again. once cycled off and on it will run fine until you are overtaking or revving the engine hard again.

if you have the car in power mode it hasnt done this yet.

the trans oil is full on the dipstick albeit a bit brown, but definately not burnt badly or anything.

has anyone had this problem before? all my google seaching comes up with other errors which cause the check powertrain to come up but nothing specifically relating to this problem.

thanks.

Brown is bad.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Get it serviced , and don't rev it so hard , @ 6000 rpm no wonder it's flashing check power train .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
You are 500rpm over redline and the ecu knows it and will usually through a code, you are probably getting fuel starvation, you are also making your bands slip, causing another code. Jeez it isn't Bathurst, wind it back a notch before your up for $$$