Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Christ, tonight is just gut-wrenching. They've already built the last ones.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Maybe this question has already been answered, and feel free to tell me that answer again. Since Australian's loved the cars that were designed in Australia (and yes I know they also loved the manufacturing in Australia), but why didn't GM/Holden do this?

Design the Commodore/Cars in Australia
  1. Send over seas
  2. Build over seas
  3. Overseas plant exports to Australia
  4. Australian's buy the car
You mean like the Ford Ranger? Have you seen the road tests etc, crowing about the 'Aussie Designed and Engineered' motoring marvel and sales success ? What a lot of BS.
Designed and engineered by a couple of dozen Aussies, screwed together by hundreds of low paid Asians, and imported at a price that does not reflect 'cheaper' productions costs. If you quote BS long enough, it will eventually be accepted as truth.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Might be seem dumb, but will a HSV technically be the last built car in Australia????

Ie it build date will be later than 20/10

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
You mean like the Ford Ranger? Have you seen the road tests etc, crowing about the 'Aussie Designed and Engineered' motoring marvel and sales success ? What a lot of BS.
Designed and engineered by a couple of dozen Aussies, screwed together by hundreds of low paid Asians, and imported at a price that does not reflect 'cheaper' productions costs. If you quote BS long enough, it will eventually be accepted as truth.
They are pieces of **** tbh. You would have to have rocks in your head to fork out 50-60k for one of them.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
The actual reduction in production costs there vs here is SFA. Someone told me the numbers Ford got when they were looking at maybe making Rangers here so as not to shut down, a few years back (in fact I'm sure I quoted them in a thread here back when I remembered what they were) ... it was something of the order of ~$10 per vehicle.
If you increased RRP by $11, you'd make more profit & lose no sales ... but that's not how they roll.

SSteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SSV Redline Manual Heron White
Well, this has some more significance now...Holden Museum in Echuca Vic. I happen to be in town atm for work and could not go past without checking it out. The owner told me he flew the flag at half mast last Friday. Not many Commodores...I told him he needs to add a VB and a VF!

IMG_1472.JPG

IMG_1466.JPG

IMG_1459.JPG

IMG_1460.JPG

IMG_1461.JPG

HemiMagic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV REDLINE, CL Charger, VK Charger, Motorsport
I don't believe that's true. They just totally disagree with each other, and you, about what is best.

On top of that, I don't think anyone knows. It's all crystal-ball gazing. I mean, I'm fairly convinced there's value beyond the monetary value of having an ability to design & build physical objects; and while I see the argument of economic rationalists ("stop wasting money doing dumb easy stuff like building cars & instead do something smart and innovative that everyone else can't do cheaper"), I feel that there's value in maintaining at least a basic ability to do everything. Like, as others have said in this very thread, spreading financial investments across various different types of investment. Yeah it costs money, but then we happily throw our money at insurance companies all the time ...

But I have no proof of whether that "gut feel based on no information at all" belief of mine would be anything apart from a total disaster. It seems to go against what's said by people who've spent a lifetime researching & analysing & working with this sort of thing.

Both Party's are headed in the same direction. The disagreement between them is Theater so we the voters feel we have a choice.

lmfvf2ssredlineute

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf2 ssv redline lmf ute
people who have no industry experience have no idea how much more expensive it is to manufacture any thing including motor vehicles here than in asia .
one example of this are work cover requirements on the crossmember line for toyota, these would be welded by robots made of light sheet metal welded together weighing bugger all.
the operator would check welds and pick up and pass crossmeber to be rechecked and packed by another operator.
crossmember would weigh 5kg and have to be moved 5 feet.
after a safety audit deemed it too heavy to be carried manually.
many thousands of dollars were spent building overhead gantries with pneumatic air systems to pick this light sheet metal crossmember up and move it 5 feet. it was slower,and no one used it but only if the big bosses were around, they were just moved by hand.so it all did nothing
it was all built just to meet our workcover requirements and cover there ass, even if not used .
and thats one small example of the extra cost to make cars here compared to asian sweat shops , and thats typical of what goes on through the whole factory, dollars spent on wages of people thinking up these dumb ideas, contractors trades persons building and fitting the useless stuff , after being designed and signed off by engineers.
a joke doing the rounds was that blokes could not even have a leak by themselves anymore as you would need help to lift a item weighing more than 5kg
you can see how this makes manufacturing uncompetitive with countries overseas,

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
people who have no industry experience have no idea how much more expensive it is to manufacture any thing including motor vehicles here than in asia .
one example of this are work cover requirements on the crossmember line for toyota, these would be welded by robots made of light sheet metal welded together weighing bugger all.
the operator would check welds and pick up and pass crossmeber to be rechecked and packed by another operator.
many thousands of dollars were spent building overhead gantries with pneumatic air systems to pick this light sheet metal crossmember up and move it 5 feet. it was slower,and no one used it but only if the big bosses were around, they were just moved by hand.so it all did nothing
it was all built just to meet our workcover requirements and cover there ass, even if not used .
and thats one small example of the extra cost to make cars here compared to asian sweat shops , and thats typical of what goes on through the whole factory, dollars spent on wages of people thinking up these dumb ideas, contractors trades persons building and fitting the useless stuff , after being designed and signed off by engineers.
a joke doing the rounds was that blokes could not even have a leak by themselves anymore as you would need help to lift a item weighing more than 5kg
You also have the privelage of going to work knowing that every possible step has been taken to ensure that your job is as safe and ergonomically comfortable as possible.

Workers have no self interst when it comes to keeping their job it would seem. Another week, another manufacturing business being held at ransom by the unions and the employees. At some point these low skilled workers need to wake up and realise they're not worth what they're being paid and the salary they are on is unsustainable in the long run.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
While it’s definitely more expensive to build in a first-world country, the amount of that extra cost is negligible compared to what the things are sold for. $10 per vehicle is the order of magnitude you’re talking about; even in the USA that’s an insignificant amount.