Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Christ, tonight is just gut-wrenching. They've already built the last ones.

lmfvf2ssredlineute

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf2 ssv redline lmf ute
manufacturing is well and truly finished in australia, i have worked all my life in manufacturing, and have lost count of the factories i once worked for that have closed down, once apon a time you could leave school at form 3 and get a job working in a factory quite easily, large firms always wanted apprentices, or you could just float around from place to place if you wanted to, just apply and start next day was how things were. the wife would stay home look after the kids, one middle class factory wage would buy a house and and a car .
now days young kids may never own a home, most jobs are casual, elderly who built the country cant afford heating and cooling,
it really pisses me off , rip holden and australia

JoshlikesCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z
pretty much, I think I might move to the US one day. I'm 21 and probably have zero hope of getting a house because I didn't become a doctor of some description. Yeah the US might be worse for some things but at least I could own a house and wouldn't have to abide to as many ridiculous laws our government bestows on us here. Oh and you can basically do whatever you want to your car because its yours and you can do whatever you want to it. Oh and there is NO training or courses for the job I want in South Australia.. so I have two jobs and maybe make 40k a year.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
I just did 3000km in the US in a Hyundai Santa Fe, I could not get back into my Redline quick enough when I got back!
I started in a mustang and must say drove nice really liked it but the Hyundai is crap

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
pretty much, I think I might move to the US one day. I'm 21 and probably have zero hope of getting a house because I didn't become a doctor of some description. Yeah the US might be worse for some things but at least I could own a house and wouldn't have to abide to as many ridiculous laws our government bestows on us here. Oh and you can basically do whatever you want to your car because its yours and you can do whatever you want to it. Oh and there is NO training or courses for the job I want in South Australia.. so I have two jobs and maybe make 40k a year.
Just been in us, it's a eye opener re wages so low and long working hrs even annual leave no 4weeks a year here.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
US has a bigger gap in standard-of-living than here, between working people earning the least & working people earning the most. A professional in a high-earning job will generally be better-off there than here, people in blue-collar jobs are generally worse-off there than here (despite cost of living being lower there).
And in terms of mods being allowed ... don’t look at California. :)

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Despite all the gloom, there is hope. My Eldest Son is 27. He and his Wife have just moved into their newly built 4 bedroom home. Their first two are rentals. The rent pays the mortgages. They have a 1 year old Daughter. So, they've been on 1 wage for nearly a year. He owns a VE Redline Sportwagon (his Wife's car) and he is about to buy an E3 GTS or a VF Redline. Together, my Son and Daughter inlaw have set themselves up for life, in a few short years. How? Neither have a uni degree. Despite my pushing for it. What they have done is worked hard since school. Chosen a life in a regional city, not the overpriced capitals. Gone without. Started with a modest home and built up from there. They've done extremely well and I am so proud of them. Others can do it too. It is an opportunistic time. Make the most of it while it lasts.

Last edited:

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
More than likely to be coincidence, but a radio station over here at about 5-00pm played “ The lion sleeps tonight” by the Tokens, made me feel sad

Clay1391

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssv redline
I agree cuda! I brought my house at 19 on apprentice wages. I didnt expect to live in a fancy part of town or have a masion. Im now 26 and have enough equity to move closer to the city and live in a nice part of town. Younger people think they are entitled to it all. Theres no reason why other people my age bracket can not do it. Ive done it on a single wage too.
Back to topic, il miss holden and il be keeping my head turner for years to come.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
manufacturing is well and truly finished in australia, i have worked all my life in manufacturing, and have lost count of the factories i once worked for that have closed down, once apon a time you could leave school at form 3 and get a job working in a factory quite easily, large firms always wanted apprentices, or you could just float around from place to place if you wanted to, just apply and start next day was how things were. the wife would stay home look after the kids, one middle class factory wage would buy a house and and a car .
now days young kids may never own a home, most jobs are casual, elderly who built the country cant afford heating and cooling,
it really pisses me off , rip holden and australia
Cost of living goes up, doesnt mean the pay of what is a relatively low skilled job in manufacturing should to meet it. Using unions to ratchet up pressure on employers to increase wages to levels that are untennable is like biting the hand that feeds you, and then wondering what happens when that hand hits back.

If you want a low skilled job, expect a low skilled wage and with that the lifestyle that comes with it.