Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clangy noise from motor V6. With audio file attached

balloonatic

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 Model Commodore
Greetings, I have a 95 model VR Commodore V6 and recently the motor has started getting very noisey. There is a clangy, clapp or it sounds like the lifters are shot and making the rockers rattle terribly but it sounds more than that like the balance shaft bearings are shot making it make a loud rattle. The noise isn't heard much over 1500 rpm but the lower the engine revs, the more rattle it makes.

Any ideas? It does sound more like the noise is coming from the top but it's still hard to tell with the noise so loud. I don't know where I should start. The motor still drives fine with no oil pressure loss.

Here is a audio file of the noise. The last 7 seconds of it was with the bonnet up.
2011-05-26 22:01.mp3

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
It's hard to tell from the audio file but have you checked the harmonic balancer for damage?

balloonatic

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 Model Commodore
Hi, yes I've checked it. The car when cold doesn't make the noise at all. That noise only comes about when the car has warmed up. Couldn't have anything to do with the oil thinning?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Remove the serpentine belt - then start the engine and run for no more than 20 seconds - if the noise has gone it will be either the harmonic balancer or one of the items that run off the serpentine belt. If the noise is still there it will probably be the balance shaft.

balloonatic

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 Model Commodore
Thanks. Will try that. Is it safe to remove the gear off the balance shaft so it never spins?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Apparently so - has been covered before. They simply remove the gear off the end of the shaft - you can also remove the shaft entirely but then you must block the oilhole at the flywheel end - not easy. Vibration may increase but it's a fair trade-off.

BowTie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr vt
i just had a similiar issue on a vs off ebay for 700.

Ended up being a combination of timing chain and a flat/damaged cam lobe.

jzt4kikz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Statesman 5.0 - Vn 8plus
sounds like a tinny noise man ?? something simple like exhaust ?