Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cleaning perspex cluster cover

batemada

Reaction score
Wellington, New Zealand (Yes i know yet another KI
Members Ride
2009 Gold Calais V Sportwagon
My perspex cluster cover has got some marks on it from some what i think is vinayl cleaning/shining product by a past owner.

What is the best was of cleaning this off? I have tried using warm water with detergent but it came back as soon as it dried.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Sometimes those products actually soak into the perspex because it is porous. Give it a clean with 50/50 metho and water mix. If it comes back when it dries, give it a wipe with olive oil, then polish it off with a clean cloth.

nEb.

Reaction score
Members Ride
04' VY II Acclaim
dont forget to crack two eggs and to pre heat your oven to 180 degrees :p

Holden2gether

The short,chunky fella
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S
Also you could try a good buff with Meguiars Plastic Polish, magic stuff :w00t: although Not_An_Abba_Fan's method sounds promising.

greenbeam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina
Mine too was covered in spots from a previous owners efforts with amorall or some such. The Meguiars plastic polish worked a treat, but it took 4 or 5 applications - slow work.
Paul.

peterrobo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ Calais 190kw
If you guys are talking about the CLEAR perspex over the instrument cluster then the best way to clean marks off that is with Brasso. Now I know a lot of you will say boo hoo to that BUT Brasso is probably the second finest abrasive paste (only jeweller rouge is finer).

Brasso used (not too wet) on a fine soft cloth and rubbed in without letting it sit wet on the perspex will remove even reasonably deep scratches to clear perspex.

It works a treat and recently removed a fairly deep scratch I clumsily put on my VZ Calais instrument cluster cover when I was vacumning the dash etc.

The finer and softer the cloth you use the better the finish you will get. I generally use an old fine-textured white t-shirt or similar.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I had the same thing. I bought a new cover from holden for $30. Took about 10 minutes to remove the old one and fit the new one.

I'm a tighta..e. I'll go for the Brasso every time. Bout five bux a can, good for hundreds of scratches. Try it on your scratched plastic watch lens and see what a difference it makes.

Regards

pj