Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clocking bushes when lowering VF's.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I believe the VE Maloo rear sway bar is also 16mm. It's the base model VE V6 sedan rear bar size, VE/VF rear bars are all the same fitment except for VF2 Redline sedans.
Might be able to find a SH one then. Utes are rare but sedans and wagons are plentiful.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Here we go again...Going back to lap times...
Of course, it's what the thread is all about, making the car go around corners faster and stop in a shorter distance for the least amount of money spent. If there's a cheaper set of tyres that are faster than the RE003 on the buy 3 get 1 free deal, then tell us what you think that tyre may be. You're not compelled to like Bridgestone's marketing strategies and I've noted the fact that you don't and that's fine!

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Of course, it's what the thread is all about, making the car go around corners faster and stop in a shorter distance for the least amount of money spent. If there's a cheaper set of tyres that are faster than the RE003 on the buy 3 get 1 free deal, then tell us what you think that tyre may be. You're not compelled to like Bridgestone's marketing strategies and I've noted the fact that you don't and that's fine!

Don't know any because I pay $73 ea for my tyres and they don't go on the 3 get one free deal....And the tyres I get get me around corners and stop me quick enough to get me there and back in 1 piece....And my tyres aren't 245/45X18's either....The cars that take that size are way too advanced in the shite for my liking.....The youngest car I own is made in 2014 and even that is way to advanced for my liking...I prefer stuff that runs carbies...Alot easier and cheaper to work on....

Oh and the majority of my other cars aren't renowned for their handling charastics, no matter what rubber they run.....You see Valiants are renowned for understeer and having absolute shite brakes...So I seriously doubt shoving some Bridgestones on them would help in that department....Maybe in the straight line department, not the cornering and braking department

Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Back on topic if that's ok? I have a question about the HSV rear sway bar. Was it SH or new? Also would a Maloo one be a thicker one too? I have a bit of roll I think and wouldn't mind looking into stiffening up the rear end if I can. The prices are pretty exi though.
MY12 Redline ute with FE3 is 12mm.
E3 Maloo is 16mm.
I still have the OEM Maloo bars stored in the garage.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I like my RE003’s :D

I‘d rather hear more about how your wagon is progressing.
Th SV6 wagon dynamically feels really good with noticeable handling and braking improvements, yet it's not overly stiff still and rides the bumps comfortably. Although the 18" wheels don't have the visual impact of 20's, the ride with a bit more sidewall cushion is nicer than the typical 20" low-profile tyre jolts over minor road irregularities.

What I don't like is the light power steering calibration of the SV6 and I think there's likely a good chance of flashing an SS calibration into the power steering module. The power steering module programmed with a different VIN, doesn't throw fault codes and is definitely worth trying.

The other mod I've done a few times with SV6's is changing the transmission shift points so they don't short shift too early and hold a high gear under acceleration. The engine feels much stronger accelerating in 2nd gear than lugging in 3rd on a short upshift. V8's have torque to pull a taller gear, but the V6 is a bit short on torque in those RPM ranges to do so.

I think the VF2 SV6 is a great car for a daily driver as I've mentioned previously, there really much not to like about them!

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I think the VF2 SV6 is a great car for a daily driver as I've mentioned previously, there is really much not to like about them!

I’m assuming you meant you like them,… fixed it for you above :p

Great tinkering… your serious mods would be interesting :cool:

I must get into the programming side of my toy… and archiving the firmware before it’s potentially taken off GMs systems could be a good idea…

Last edited:

bobthekelpy

Reaction score
Members Ride
'17 VF SV6 Wagon
I finally finished the SV6 Wagon suspension revision in time for a good midnight road test! As I mentioned previously in the thread, the rationale behind the modifications was a cost effective and moderate visual and handling improvement.

Retaining the stock FE2 shocks, I fitted King 151 SL's in the front and 152 RLHD's in the rear lowering the car 25mm, front ride height 377mm, rear 380mm. Thanks to Smitty's rear sway bar knowledge with wagons, I changed the rear sway bar from 12mm to 16mm and increased the wheel offset 12mm, widening the track 24mm. Tyres are a new set of Bridgestone RE003's in stock SV6 size 245/45x18.

The ride feels much the same as stock FE2 and only marginally firmer and rides bumps much the same with good comfortability. Most noticeable difference and a good handling improvement once I got into back blocks in the 100kmph zone, was the reduction of body roll and much sharper turn in and steering response, car feels more like a stock Redline cornering and direction change although the V6 steering is a bit on the light side.

Visually the car looks as it should, doesn't look lowered but doesn't look too high or overdone, like trying to make an SV6 look like a SSV Redline with the wrong engine. Cost wise, a set of springs, sway bar that's a base model VE V6 sedan bar worth little, it's a pretty cheap exercise to make some good visual and handling improvements retaining the car's practicality without the need to spend a heap of money!

The other modification I'll do soon is V8 (SS) brakes, same calipers with the larger 321/324mm rotors and V8 caliper brackets. I've done this mod several times and really sharpens up the vehicle retardation under brakes with a much better pedal feel over the smaller rotor V6 brakes.

View attachment 252686

Hi Nev,
Can you confirm the rear spring part number please?
RLHD doesn't show in the Kings parts list.
I've just bought the same colour SV6 wagon as my everyday car.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Hi Nev,
Can you confirm the rear spring part number please?
RLHD doesn't show in the Kings parts list.
I've just bought the same colour SV6 wagon as my everyday car.
The full part number for the rear springs I used is KRHL152HD Front are KFHL151SL. That lowers an SV6 wagon 25mm front and rear.

20230902_162609.jpg

bobthekelpy

Reaction score
Members Ride
'17 VF SV6 Wagon
The full part number for the rear springs I used is KRHL152HD Front are KFHL151SL. That lowers an SV6 wagon 25mm front and rear.

View attachment 263608

Question for you @RevNev , did you have to shorten the bump stops using these springs with the standard shocks?

How have you found the ride and would it benefit or be necessary to change to a shortened shock, like the Monroe GT Sport etc?

I have to change my strut tops and have ordered the same springs. I figure while I'm in there..