Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Closed door respray - cost?

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I can tell you the clear coat on both of my BMW's built 2017 and 2018, is far more scratch and stone chip resistant than the VF. Particularly my Sting red VF2, if you rub the paint work with anything other than a microfiber cloth it'll scratch the clear coat. VF2's seemed notoriously prone to stone chips with an appearance of insufficient paint hardening for some reason.

Agreed, I've only owned one BMW but I've had a number of Mercs and all of them have stood up way better to stone chips then my VF2.

I had my front bar, bonnet and one front guard resprayed after 12 months as I couldn't stand looking at the chips any longer.

Since the respray, I haven't had one chip at all.

I respect my cars too much to tailgate and never have I seen paint as easily marked as the VF2.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Agreed, I've only owned one BMW but I've had a number of Mercs and all of them have stood up way better to stone chips then my VF2.

I had my front bar, bonnet and one front guard resprayed after 12 months as I couldn't stand looking at the chips any longer.

Since the respray, I haven't had one chip at all.

I respect my cars too much to tailgate and never have I seen paint as easily marked as the VF2.
It's interesting the grills and bumper centre section painted in Phantom Black is extremely stone chip resistant in comparison to the rest of the paintwork. The clear coat on my hard lid commercially painted is far more scratch resistant than the OEM painted bonnet.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
It's interesting the grills and bumper centre section painted in Phantom Black is extremely stone chip resistant in comparison to the rest of the paintwork. The clear coat on my hard lid commercially painted is far more scratch resistant than the OEM painted bonnet.
In my vf1 Calais its the chrome grill that's got the chips but the paintwork is largely chip free (2 little ones...)
All picked up on a round trip Sydney to wagga

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
In my vf1 Calais its the chrome grill that's got the chips but the paintwork is largely chip free (2 little ones...)
All picked up on a round trip Sydney to wagga
Yes, I've heard that before about Calais grills prone to chips.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars

It's shows that Holden were happy to treat their customers like mugs, right to the end.

It's easier now to sit back an cast a critical eye over some of their cheap tactics without the fear of being shot down by overzealous fandom.

Reactions: Lex

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
It's shows that Holden were happy to treat their customers like mugs, right to the end.

It's easier now to sit back an cast a critical eye over some of their cheap tactics without the fear of being shot down by overzealous fandom.

It wasn't just VF either. I'd say it was everything from that period 2013 onwards.

I haven't seen a car get stone chips as easily as my WN. The clear coat is probably too thin and doesn't have the hardness to withstand anything the car will be subjected to as a daily driver.