Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Closed door respray - cost?

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
Had some random Detailing videos crop up in my Youtube feed, showcasing new car paint corrections

One was a brand new Mustang Dark Horse with all the bells and whistles, the other was a "Spitfire Green" looking Ferrari 296 GTB

The Dark horse was horrid with blemishes everywhere, but good lord the Ferrari was an absolute disgrace. Granted its well known that a lot of those Luxury car makers suffer poor quality paint, but christ the Ferraris finish quality could only be described as an atrocity

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Had some random Detailing videos crop up in my Youtube feed, showcasing new car paint corrections

One was a brand new Mustang Dark Horse with all the bells and whistles, the other was a "Spitfire Green" looking Ferrari 296 GTB

The Dark horse was horrid with blemishes everywhere, but good lord the Ferrari was an absolute disgrace. Granted its well known that a lot of those Luxury car makers suffer poor quality paint, but christ the Ferraris finish quality could only be described as an atrocity
Yes I also watch Larry (Ammo NYC) and some of those ferraris... it's like the deliberately try to tarnish the paint at the factory!

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
BMW was one of the first to adopt this new system of painting cars in about 2007
I can tell you the clear coat on both of my BMW's built 2017 and 2018, is far more scratch and stone chip resistant than the VF. Particularly my Sting red VF2, if you rub the paint work with anything other than a microfiber cloth it'll scratch the clear coat. VF2's seemed notoriously prone to stone chips with an appearance of insufficient paint hardening for some reason.

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
Yes I also watch Larry (Ammo NYC) and some of those ferraris... it's like the deliberately try to tarnish the paint at the factory!

Im sure it won't be long and he'll receive the infamous Ferrari "cease and desist" letter :D

VF2's seemed notoriously prone to stone chips with an appearance of insufficient paint hardening for some reason.

Compared to my previous VE, I absolutely notice the stone chips more on the bonnet with the VF2. I ended up getting the bonnet protector which I install whenever I go on road trips and that's helped alot

Weirdly the guards and bumper dont seem to get it too bad, just the bonnet, so I often wonder If it is in part caused by the aluminium vs steel bonnet

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Avoid sitting behind dual cabs. They are everywhere and are bastards for flinging up gravel.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
As others have said... VF's (especially VF2's) have inferior paint quality to VE's, which is ironic as VE's and before aren't known for paint quality either...

I also noticed that my old red VF2 SV6 suffered terribly from stone chips, and even some of the clear coat started peeling around the headlights after applying a pressure washer a little too close, though maybe that was my fault...

This is another case of VF (and Holden) cost cutting...

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
That's like saying avoid walking behind people in the CBD!
True that, it's why I have a fair few stone chips, mostly on my bonnet. PDR bloke fixed a few but others are tiny and he said just to leave them.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I’d be kinda surprised if they made enough VF’s to have saved enough $$ on paint to make-up for the cost of changing the tooling after VE!
I guess they didn’t know VF was the last Holden when they did that …