Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clutch fluid is always dirty!

Dino76

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ssv
Hi Guys and Dolls,
At least once a month I am changing my clutch fluid as its always really dirty (pretty much black).
I bleed it from the reservoir,I drain it from there then fill back up.I jump in the car and pump the clutch pedal about 30 times and then drain again.
I repeat this about 5 times (or until fluid looks pretty good).
But in about a month or so the fluid looks like crap again.
Anyone else have this issue?
Its a 6 litre manual and I have had braided line put in last time clutch was replaced.
Also it doesn't get a flogging but it has a slightly heavy clutch then standard.
Any help or info would be great.
Thanks.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
its one of the rubber seals i think, dont think it causes any issues as mine has done that from the start and i havnt noticed any difference in the clutch

Dino76

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ssv
its one of the rubber seals i think, dont think it causes any issues as mine has done that from the start and i havnt noticed any difference in the clutch
Thanks 07GTS.
How offen do you clean and replace clutch fluid?
As I feel every time auto one or super cheap have a sale on I'm buying clutch fluid
Not a hard job to do or even expensive,just wondering.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
i got my gts at 13k and done a change then, it went back to the darker color soon after and im at 37k now with same oil in it, u can change it as much as u want it will just keep going back to the darker so im just leaving it

Dino76

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ssv
i got my gts at 13k and done a change then, it went back to the darker color soon after and im at 37k now with same oil in it, u can change it as much as u want it will just keep going back to the darker so im just leaving it
Thanks buddy.
Appreciate the advice.
Now I can spend my supercheap auto points on something else instead.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
It's common issue for every manual ls car I've seen partly due to small reservoir & small volume of fluid to go with usage/heat.

Makes those Mal Wood reservoirs with more volume & clutch bleeder kits a godsend to use.

Dino76

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ssv
It's common issue for every manual ls car I've seen partly due to small reservoir & small volume of fluid to go with usage/heat.

Makes those Mal Wood reservoirs with more volume & clutch bleeder kits a godsend to use.
Cheers gtrboyy.
Those Mal Wood reservoir look pretty good for that price.
Are you running one on your vehicle?

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
I created the instructions below in relation to a previous thread/post:

Bleeding the T56 Clutch

I have a Textralia X-grip clutch system installed on my VX GTS 427 with a standard master and slave cylinder, and don't have the problems you are experiencing. Having said that, an HD clutch will always be more temperamental in terms of release and smoothness compared with a standard clutch - however, the standard ones won't cut the mustard !!!

I suspect that your clutch is not being bled properly - it's difficult to do with the clutch slave cylinder being installed inside the bell housing. Firstly, I recommend you purchase and install an extended bleeder such as in the link below - you may get it cheaper from Bursons and other motor retailers. This allows you to easily attach a hose and container to the bleed nipple:

The next thing is very important. I replace my clutch fluid every six months because it becomes contaminated (and black) and I've tried all different methods to replace the fluid and get a good pedal. You need to forget the guidelines you may have seen in relation to bleeding brake lines.

1. Once you have installed the extended bleeder, remove all the old brake fluid from the clutch master cylinder. I use a turkey baster to syringe all the fluid out and kitchen paper and a toothbrush to get rid of any remaining dirt and fluid.
2. Fill the master cylinder with new fluid - I use racing brake fluid but I'm not sure if that works any better than standard high quality brake fluid.
3. Attach a (clear) plastic tube attached to a container, which is located higher than the slave cylinder.
4. Crack the bleed nipple about 1/2 of a turn.
5. Slowly pump the clutch three times.
6. Refill the master cylinder and repeat step 5 until the fluid in the plastic tube is clear. you need to be careful as the clutch master cylinder is rather small and if you pump the clutch more than three times, or forget to fill the master cylinder you will have to start all over again.
7. Once the fluid in the tube is clear, tighten the bleed screw, top up the master cylinder, and you will have a magnificent clutch pedal that has no sponginess and performs well.
8. Be careful when you remove the plastic tube and reservoir to prevent old clutch fluid contaminating you and the environment !!!

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Must be the black from the rubber. Strange that it happens so fast.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Black clutch fluid , and having time to notice that it is black - definitely a first-world problem! :)