Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cold engine knock

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So i had a listen to the knock/rattle and it sounds like lifters bleeding down. It's rattly somewhere up top. It starts out louder and after a bit it goes away. For the first 10 seconds or less is where you really notice it. Then it slowly gets quieter and quieter until it's barely noticeable.
I will change the oil and fit the wix filter tomorrow to see if anything changes. I assume lifters is just a manifold and rocker gear off job? I also assume lifters are something I can leave for a while, like 12 or more months? Rather leave it until coolant needs changing, in 18 - 24 months time.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Knock/rattle seems to still be there, even with the Wix filter and new oil.
Can anyone tell me if a top end knock/rattle is something I should be concerned about or is it no problem as it goes away?
Also any more ideas on what it could be? To me it's sounding like rockers or something that is in line with the rockers like lifters.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Take it back to the mechanic who did all that work to the motor awhile back. Maybe a bolt has come loose?
The more you drive it, the worst it may become. If the mechanic checks it out, it may just need a bolt tightened.
May be ok?
Ask the mechanic?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
As above, consult the mechanic that did the work.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I will call in to the blokes workshop Tuesday.
I put the stethoscope on and the noise can only be heard with the point of the tool placed on the rocker cover. I'd say its not any work the mech has done.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Who put the high ratio rockers on?

Once you start doing stuff and then take it back it they find out they will blame you and wash their hands off it. Consult them first and then figure out the next step.

If it's top end noise maybe a rocker has come loose or something stupid along those lines, it might be a simple fix.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
I will call in to the blokes workshop Tuesday.
I put the stethoscope on and the noise can only be heard with the point of the tool placed on the rocker cover. I'd say its not any work the mech has done.

I would have thought the mechanic would have noticed the noise before he handed the car back to you. Odd to say nothing?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Who put the high ratio rockers?
I fitted the rockers. The reason it went to the mech was the terrible rattle it had, once warm. This was a few days after i fitted the Mace rockers. New rockers brought to light the timing chain and gears that were fucked. Before that I didn't have a hot engine rattle. Now instead i have a cold engine rattle that lasts all up 20 -30 seconds. Its starts out louder then goes quiet.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Lift the rocker cover where the noise is and see what is going on, hopefully it's something simple/stupid.