Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cold start noise

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
i am leaning to high km
try changing to a 10w30 or even 10w40 oil

HDJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV REDLINE
I have the exact same problem I have no clue what this is and I’m seriously not getting new chains as the car drives fine. Most people have changed actuators, chains etc and the sound is still there. I’m using 10W40 10tenths and ryco synthetic oil filter.

HDJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV REDLINE
However I did read before that a member on here changed the evap solenoid and somehow it stopped. It’s a 70$ part so worth a shot I guess.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Don't want to be rude but I've read up on this last night as so many are having the same noise after replacing chains sprockets tensioners and even oil pressure switch plugs coil and the noise was still present first thing in the morning, If the motor runs fine afterwards and no light or fault codes I bet my left nut its your oil pump as its not picking up the oil faster enough, hence the reason for noisy lifters on start up till the oil gets there. And even Holden would say u need a timing chain kit and so on because they want your money, yes they are knowing to stretch but what I read last night a person did it all and still the noise was there, do your self a favour and replace the oil pump then no more dry lifters in the morning just like he discovered, all his work was done at Holden so they serviced his lifters and replaced his oil pump for free after they cost him 3k for the other work..

What happens the oil that's still inside the lifter on start up in the morning disappears so they tap away dry until the oil gets there that's why they start good then tap then no noise.

Last edited:

Davidhagar

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore
So it’s the oil pump you say. Now is this urgent to replace the pump?

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
So it’s the oil pump you say. Now is this urgent to replace the pump?
Depends, yours could be the timing chain or have u put the new kit in? If so then I be going with the pump. Metal on metal not good at any time.
I'm only going on the ve that I read on another site, he had it at Holden he says it cost 3k to replace the timing gear, he goes on to say when he picked it up he started it and the sound was still there, he went back in and they replaced pressure switch, so next morning he starts the car still the same start up issue quite then rattle then quite, so he did a bit of searching and found out the lifters rattling all at once so he took it to Holden again they replaced the pump and he says serviced the lifters but cant see they would unless they replaced them, so he says no more noise.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Depends, yours could be the timing chain or have u put the new kit in? If so then I be going with the pump. Metal on metal not good at any time.
I'm only going on the ve that I read on another site, he had it at Holden he says it cost 3k to replace the timing gear, he goes on to say when he picked it up he started it and the sound was still there, he went back in and they replaced pressure switch, so next morning he starts the car still the same start up issue quite then rattle then quite, so he did a bit of searching and found out the lifters rattling all at once so he took it to Holden again they replaced the pump and he says serviced the lifters but cant see they would unless they replaced them, so he says no more noise.

Technically OHC engines don't have lifters. They're more commonly called cam followers as the don't actually 'lift' anything. Alloytecs are not known for noisey cam followers, but the common cold start noise relates to the oil pressure needed to pump up the timing chain tensioners. As things get older it takes a fraction longer to get solid pressure at cold start.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Technically OHC engines don't have lifters. They're more commonly called cam followers as the don't actually 'lift' anything. Alloytecs are not known for noisey cam followers, but the common cold start noise relates to the oil pressure needed to pump up the timing chain tensioners. As things get older it takes a fraction longer to get solid pressure at cold start.
Ok thanks for that. Not up to speed with these new engines. Still the pump is the issue.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
how many times does he say "right" right