Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cold start rattle on LS3 - piston slap :) Engine replaced

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
This was meant to be the car that i was gonna keep for good. Given the number of issues in last 2 yrs i will most likely trade it in after the warranty is out and buy something Japanese....
Also found today that one of rear mufflers is leaking as well...
They never picked it up and it's black as around the weld where the hole is...
It's a shame...

Coolant leak, 2 oil leaks, clattering engine, muffler leak...All in 2 yrs...
Turd....
Far out suprised you dont have a injector going as seems common

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Mine does go away after 5-10 min but it is appaling how they try to package poor quality control into engine 'characteristic'...
Your a special case Ron. Yours is absolutley appalling and is far from the norm, even if it does disappear eventually. Its far from being described as a soft background rattle! Ultimately, if audible slap is a characteristic of "high performance L77/LS3", then why aren't we all privaleged to the aural pleasure? That bulletin was for the masses who pester Holden with every strange noise (me included!).

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Your a special case Ron. Yours is absolutley appalling and is far from the norm, even if it does disappear eventually. Its far from being described as a soft background rattle! Ultimately, if audible slap is a characteristic of "high performance L77/LS3", then why aren't we all privaleged to the aural pleasure? That bulletin was for the masses who pester Holden with every strange noise (me included!).

Yeah...
In winter my sounds exactly like diesel...
Embarrassing ..
I am amazed that my concern was ignored for 2 years even after I supplied multiple recordings...

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
Mine is the same Ron. Even when the temp gauge is at operating temp position it still takes another 5mins of driving before it is not noticeable. I only started to notice it with my car when it got to about 18,000kms

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Mine is the same Ron. Even when the temp gauge is at operating temp position it still takes another 5mins of driving before it is not noticeable. I only started to notice it with my car when it got to about 18,000kms

Did you raise it with your dealer ?

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
Both my SS's make that exact noise when cold. BUT nowhere near as loud as that. Mine aren't loud enough to record the sound and to hear it i have to listen out for it.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
This is 2 days ago. Cold start but 20 degrees outside. Never used to be this bad when it's warm outside.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Perfect example of how long it really takes for your engine to be at operating temp. I have had an unidentified strange grinding noise for as long as I can remember at exactly 2.5-3000rpm and for it to completely disappear, the car needs at least 15mins running or about three times as long as it takes for coolant to get to temp. It's annoying, but I'm thankful its not low in the rev range.

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
@Banjo79 I have the same grinding sound at the same RPM and I put it down to engine oil being cold and higher oil pressures because I have noticed when the oil is about 50degs It’s fine

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
So what does cold oil and high oil pressure do to cause the noise, what specific part/s are involved and why is it so specific in the rev range? I used to think it was piston slap, but I concluded that it would be there from idle when cold. 3 mechs have heard it, none can solve the problem so I just live with it. Holden sent me on my way, noting it was most likely induction noise from cai intake! I left in peace, laughing with blood boiling simultaneously.