Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cold start rattle on LS3 - piston slap :) Engine replaced

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Ya sure the LS3 is assembled in Mexico?
I am pretty sure they are...but as far as I know the process is very automated and robots to quite a bit of assembly of these engines...

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Holden is accepting their diagnosis. They are instructing the dealer to rebuild unless there is damage....in which case they would provide new crate engine.
When rebuilding an engine, i'd think many would typically replace a number of parts regradless of their condition, simply as a precautionary measure, may be things like pushrods, lifters, springs, rockers, timing chains, tensioners, etc. I'm not talking of disposable items like YTT bolts and such. I'd think such precautionary parts replacement may be much more important on engines with more mileage but I'm no engine bulder. I'd also expect all parts would be hot tanked as a matter of normal rebuild processes but not sure if that is a given..

Sadly, what we think should be done and what actually occurs with the rebuild may not line up squarely. So it may be worth quantifying what Holden considers will be done during the rebuild process and what the engine builder would recommend should be done as best practice. The views may be poles apart. Just don't assume that because the block is going to a decent engine builder, Holden is paying them to do a job at their usual standard the'd do for a private individual.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Considering the age of the engine I'd expect they will bore the block and fit a new set of pistons with the correct PTV clearances, as for the rest I'd expect new gaskets and that is about it. Nothing else is old enough to warrant replacement unless something is out of spec.

I am pretty sure they are...but as far as I know the process is very automated and robots to quite a bit of assembly of these engines...

I know the new engines are but not sure about the older LS based units. It also depends, bots are only as good as the idiot that programs them.

I know a guy that used to do engine rebuilds at the local dealership for the LS motors that had oil burn/piston slap issues. As he said, it was difficult to the job in the allotted time, tear it down, slap new piston assemblies in and button it all up again ready to test drive/bed in the rings properly :D It's probably better these days a decent engine shop does the work.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
This was meant to be the car that i was gonna keep for good. Given the number of issues in last 2 yrs i will most likely trade it in after the warranty is out and buy something Japanese....
Also found today that one of rear mufflers is leaking as well...
They never picked it up and it's black as around the weld where the hole is...
It's a shame...

Coolant leak, 2 oil leaks, clattering engine, muffler leak...All in 2 yrs...
Turd....

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
That sucks mate. The engine fault is really a GM issue but an exhaust leak at this age?

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
That sucks mate. The engine fault is really a GM issue but an exhaust leak at this age?

Yeah...bad welding where the muffler and flange join

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190309-143010_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20190309-143010_Gmail.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 327
Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Ya sure the LS3 is assembled in Mexico?

Yes, all the mainstream L's and LS's are built in Mexico.
LS7 and LS9 were hand built in Wixom, Michigan.
Unsure of the LT series.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Driver's side muffler also looks suspicious

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190309-143639_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190309-143639_Gallery.jpg
    552 KB · Views: 350

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score