Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cold start rattle on LS3 - piston slap :) Engine replaced

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Update
Since the car hit 20 000km the noise is all but gone...
Odd...

Murdoch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Wagoon
Update
Since the car hit 20 000km the noise is all but gone...
Odd...

haven't changed fuel or oil brands?
same outside temps as when issue was occurring??

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
The LS3s are fairly robust from what I read everywhere. I recently had my cam, pushrods and lifters replaced under warranty (at 85,000kms approx). Mine wasn't a cold startup issue, but more noticeable when cold. The ticking came and went but I captured it clear enough that the dealer dealt with it.

I hope your issue doesn't reappear.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
haven't changed fuel or oil brands?
same outside temps as when issue was occurring??

All variables are still the same. I only replaced stock air filter with k&n panel filter but very unlikely this would have any effect on it....Who knows...

Wellsey

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Ute 2017
Thanks so much for posting this, I bought the last of the Utes to come to NZ and started to notice a cold knock/rattle at around 18,000km. I have now done about 21,000 in a year and a half, am totally disappointed and it seriously takes away from the joy of driving. I am still discussing the noise with the Dealer and was looking forward to a track day having treated it to a long trip on collecting it to run it in nicely, some short running but mostly it has 160km highway trips away each weekend, only use 98 octane from BP or Gull, use Mobil 1 with dexos2 at half the specified time frames, and I’m pretty easy on it from cold. The noise is prominent as revs approach 2000 rpm and at 2500 when it changes gear is a dull rattle/knock and once warm is gone. Not sure what I will do now as I love the warmed up driving experience and as an investment in a driveable classic it’s not really anything that I expected.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Thanks so much for posting this, I bought the last of the Utes to come to NZ and started to notice a cold knock/rattle at around 18,000km. I have now done about 21,000 in a year and a half, am totally disappointed and it seriously takes away from the joy of driving. I am still discussing the noise with the Dealer and was looking forward to a track day having treated it to a long trip on collecting it to run it in nicely, some short running but mostly it has 160km highway trips away each weekend, only use 98 octane from BP or Gull, use Mobil 1 with dexos2 at half the specified time frames, and I’m pretty easy on it from cold. The noise is prominent as revs approach 2000 rpm and at 2500 when it changes gear is a dull rattle/knock and once warm is gone. Not sure what I will do now as I love the warmed up driving experience and as an investment in a driveable classic it’s not really anything that I expected.
Mine now has about 30000km and the noise is back when cold. More noticeable in winter. It is not getting worse so I just learnt to accept it :)
Annoying...yes...but not much I can do...

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The LS3s are fairly robust from what I read everywhere. I recently had my cam, pushrods and lifters replaced under warranty (at 85,000kms approx)..
A bit of an oxymoron isn’t it,... fairly robust with a bunch of things replaced under warranty at 85k kms :p

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
I see your point, but they're not engines that seem to die easily, unless you pump way too many lbs of boost into them without some bottom end work done on them.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
There are days when i wish the c u nt t would just explode so i throw in a new engine. Really annoying sometimes...