Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Common high KM problems?

Dazza VU ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU series 2 ute
I have a VU series 2 which I have owned since new. Never driven hard & oil change every 5000 klms including filter. I have 258,000 klms on the clock & have replaced the following due to normal driving failure; rear main seal plate (common fault), passenger side engine mount (common), DFI module, centre bearing, engine idler pulley (common), passenger side exhaust manifold studs (common fault), auto transmission shifter button, blinker stalk, storage compartment closure clip (common), ignition leads (due to my own stupidity, they did do 240,000 klms), bonnet gas struts, rear canopy gas struts, driver side window winder (manual) - i reckon this was fault from factory/new, radiator & heater switch aswell as starter motor & that is all (not much aye, LOL) apart from the usual battery, blown globe, relay, fuse, plugs etc. This car has been very well looked after & i am now waiting for the inevitable. I have owned this car since 2002 & have never had major issues. Still running OEM original exhaust, catalytic converter, coil packs, all engine & exhaust sensors, diff (oil changed twice in 16 yrs), tranny (still changes smooth & quiet although, been serviced which not many people do). All interior instruments & functions all work fine. Nothing broken or missing. This car has never let me down in any way. To answer your question. If you look after something it will look after you. Also, it helps to have looked after something from new & not inherited it from unknown sources where care & proper servicing may not have been evident. Overall the VU is a very durable vehicle if looked after & maintained well. Just have to be lucky enough to get hold of a very good second hand one.

CoffeeMonster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Exec/VE II SSV-Z
i'd still buy a VX SS or so but prob not high Ks car. i left my exec with my bro and it should be right on 200k about now, we've had it for 15 years all up.
in chronological order i'll try to remember repairs on it:
electric seat broke (warranty repair)
fuel gauge sensor (warranty repair)
engine mounts
bonnet gas lifter thingos
engine valley sealed replaced due to leak
brake light sensor failed
thermostat needed replacing as it became stuck open
engine radiator replaced at 160,000
headlining started to sag at 170,000, had it replaced. sagged in front driver's side corner, prob from driving with window down.

all in all it's been really good, the most expensive repair was the valley gasket at 600 or so IIRC

one dealer wanted to do over 3k of repairs to it once but i looked at some of the things myself and they seemed in good working order so i took it to another garage and they said everything was 100% fine. because of this i'm not sure all of the repairs above were necessary, i'd say in hindsight the engine mount replacement at low Ks (60,000) was probably bullshit. i'm also not sure the engine valley seal needed replacing but that was around 140,000km.

current issues:
-oil weep from steering rack, has been ongoing for 3-5 years, just needs power steering fluid top up once a year or so and hasn't got worse (still passes RWC).
-seat foam starting to fall apart
-aircon not real cold, compressor apparently still fine but not much gas left. might be related to an earlier accident where i hit a wallaby and it pushed the radiator guard into the engine and A/C radiators, they were both bent but neither leaking. it's possible the gas leaked out over a couple of years.
-recently developed an issue where when you're cruising along and put your foot down to overtake the car stutters for a second before it gets going.
the last one is the only real issue imo, no one's been able to diagnose it. my bro wants to get rid of the car now so i have to decide whether i want to spend the money to keep it running to send it to the trash.

Dazza VU ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU series 2 ute
The stuttering or hesitation when putting your foot down, I had the same issue. Thought all sorts of things like, tranny problem, torque convertor & throttle position sensor. As I had owned the car for 15 years since new I thought & realised that I had never replaced the ignition leads ever !! They say to replace every 50,000 or so. My car had done 258,000. I had nothing to lose & for the small expense replaced the ignition leads with new Bosch leads & WAMMO. Drives like new. No kidding & that annoying stuttering/hesitation has gone.

Dazza VU ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU series 2 ute
If it is not the leads try spark plugs, could be bad plug or plug insulator. My opinion on why the vehicle stutters/hesitates is that there is an electrical breakdown under load. Let me know how you go. I am interested in the outcome.

CoffeeMonster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Exec/VE II SSV-Z
The stuttering or hesitation when putting your foot down, I had the same issue. Thought all sorts of things like, tranny problem, torque convertor & throttle position sensor. As I had owned the car for 15 years since new I thought & realised that I had never replaced the ignition leads ever !! They say to replace every 50,000 or so. My car had done 258,000. I had nothing to lose & for the small expense replaced the ignition leads with new Bosch leads & WAMMO. Drives like new. No kidding & that annoying stuttering/hesitation has gone.

just these things? https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bosch-S...R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313&LH_TitleDesc=0|0
i've passed the info on to my brother, he seems pretty keen to give it a try. cheers for the info, i'll definitely let you know how it goes

Dazza VU ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU series 2 ute
They are the ones. Exact same leads as I used. If you haven't changed the leads lately I bet they will fix the problem. Let me know how it all goes.

CoffeeMonster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Exec/VE II SSV-Z
They are the ones. Exact same leads as I used. If you haven't changed the leads lately I bet they will fix the problem. Let me know how it all goes.

my brother has installed the new ignition leads already. he hasn't been able to fully test it out but preliminary indications are that it has fixed the problem. i'll psot another update once he's driven it properly for a while then i can confirm the issue is resolved.

Dazza VU ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU series 2 ute
Thanks for the reply. Good to hear initial tests have been positive. It has been a pleasure to share my own experience & I hope it is a resolution to your own issues, aswell as everyone else on this forum who may experience the same problem. Great work & thanks for listening.

CoffeeMonster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Exec/VE II SSV-Z
Thanks for the reply. Good to hear initial tests have been positive. It has been a pleasure to share my own experience & I hope it is a resolution to your own issues, aswell as everyone else on this forum who may experience the same problem. Great work & thanks for listening.

seems like the problems are fully gone, thanks for the advice :)