Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Common SIDI V6 oil leaks?

pimpjuice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Berlina wagon V6
Everyone under the sun knows about the old ecotec and rear main seal leaks. I haven't heard anything about the sidi engines whether 3.0 or 3.6?

Reason I ask is, I have a 2010 Berlina sportswagon with 104k. Oil a nice colour, excellent service history, is due for a service now. No abnormal oil usage either. But I've noticed that the front of the motor has caked on oil. Like it's sweating from somewhere. The look of it is reminiscent of my vy v6 and a rocker cover gasket leak. Even after a 600km drive, I couldn't smell oil, nor does it physically leak on the ground.

It's at the bottom part, about level with the alternator across the front of the engine. What could that be? Are there common engine leaks on these motors?

bfhoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
I have 225,000 klms on mine only leak that has only just appeared is rear main I think leaking down gearbox. Rest of car immaculate im even running original rocker covers which show no signs of leakage anytime soon. Very impressed and with the rear main leak I have a feeling its my own stupid fault as I may have overfilled it when doing an oil change.

trebble99

Reaction score
Members Ride
vesv6s2
check the timing cover ,the SIDI motors do start to leak at about 30000, nephew is a gold teck at local Holden dealer gets them in regularly.Had mine done only done 27000k,no gasket just silicone,he said each face needs to be ruffed up slightly.Hope this helps.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
98% it's the front cover, 1% sump, 1% anything else. Clean it down and recheck around the front cover in a week or so.

gd81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SII Sv6 Manual
Had my timing cover redone at around 55000. Sounds like it could be an issue.

pimpjuice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Berlina wagon V6
It's been to Holden and also my mechanic and they advise of no leak. Maybe there was a leak and it was fixed? Usually when a leak is remedied, you would think they would clean it down. Anyway, it seems like "staining". The underbody tray seems spotless though.

pimpjuice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Berlina wagon V6
Constructive comment phillmac.

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
Just basics, clean it so you can see for your self if and where it seeps from.