Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Comp Cam 231/247 113LSA 6xx 6xx lift on 2010 LS3 GTS

hanson1128

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
Comp Cam 231/247 113LSA 6xx 6xx lift

this cam is what my performance suggest me, anyone think of this cam? is it good?

Which stage you would go?..
stage 3 or 4..?

STAGE 1 $2800
This package includes:
Pre dyno ramp
Your choice of performance camshaft
PAC heavy duty beehive valve springs
Genuine GM coolant
Labour to install the camshaft + valve spring package
Custom HP tuners ECC Mafless tune to suit new camshaft

STAGE 2 $3000
This package includes:
ECC Stage 1 Package
Dual Valve spring Upgrade – (dual springs, race locks, retainers, valve steam seals, and valve spring locators)
Performance Engine Oil
Genuine GM Oil Filter
Racing Spark Plugs suited to application
Genuine GM Crank Bolt (1 Use only item)
Genuine GM Water pump gaskets
Genuine GM Front cover gaskets
All additional Labour

STAGE 3 $3700
This package includes:
ECC Stage 2 Package
High performance Mellings / Clevite oil pump
Rollmaster single row timing chain set
ARP cam bolts
Heavy duty pushrods matched to the camshaft of your choice.
All additional labour

STAGE 4 $4195
This package includes:
This package includes:
ECC Stage 3 Package
Powerbond 25% Underdrive balancer kit
Crank Pinning to prevent Balancer issues with increased power
Drive belts to suit Underdrive balancer.
All additional labour

STAGE 5 $7750
This package includes:
ECC Stage 4 Package
Higgins CNC Race Ported Heads (Exchange for stock heads)
Comp Cams high performance anti pump down lifters
ARP head bolt kit
GM Performance head gaskets
All additional labour

Last edited:

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
I like oz track cam, and GM Motorsport cam... but not in Brisnane.. lol
hard to choose a cammmmmmmmmmmmm...........
Many spec of cam.. and don't know which one to go..

yeah up to you man, im stoked with mine, sounds tough as guts, went hard (before blower) and because daily almost drove like standard

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL
Ask your tuner if he can take you for a drive in a car with a similar set up to the cam they're recommending. that way you'll have a better idea what your getting. I've heard of pretty big cams being fine to drive at normal speeds but they've been matched to a quality stall converter, so make sure you get one if you're after a big cam. if you're going for the stage 3 at minimum, once you add a stally and full exhaust you'd be easily forking out at least 8-9k so get them to upgrade you to the stage 4 for no charge. or spend a few grand more and get a blower.

hanson1128

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
Ask your tuner if he can take you for a drive in a car with a similar set up to the cam they're recommending. that way you'll have a better idea what your getting. I've heard of pretty big cams being fine to drive at normal speeds but they've been matched to a quality stall converter, so make sure you get one if you're after a big cam. if you're going for the stage 3 at minimum, once you add a stally and full exhaust you'd be easily forking out at least 8-9k so get them to upgrade you to the stage 4 for no charge. or spend a few grand more and get a blower.

HI Mate,

Thanks a lot, yea.. i will go for 2800rpm stall ( $1800 ) when i fit 231/247 cam, but i don't know that sort of brand they will be fitted / used. Any good brand you reckon?
They offer me Hurricane as Exhaust with Mild Steel, 1 7/8 Header, and Full 3" Exhasut + VCM OTR for $300...
If i go for Stage 3 + above, yea.. it will be around like $8000 ~ $9000....
Just want to know, do i have to go for Stage 3 or 4 at minimum..... will it be safer than only do stage 1 and 2?..
Btw, saw u fitted a 2.5" Xforce, is it drone ?

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL
it comes down to what you can afford. if you can spend the cash to make it reliable and trouble free, then spend the extra to make sure its done right the first time. How much do you want to spend? why not do a full exhaust, stally and diff gears now, which would make it pretty quick, and save up for a few months and then do heads and cam.... or a blower.... you can get second hand MP2300's for 5-6k..... with the right cam and about 10 psi you'd get nearly 600 rwhp.... do you have any future mods after the ones you're looking at?

my cat back does drone, but its a cheaper system. still sounds great and im happy with the sound, and yes there's probably better out there, but the dealer put it on when I bought the car and it sounds a lot better than stock, so i'm not complaining. plus I don't have 3 grand laying around to get a quality brand name, but if I did i'd probably get the Manta from Not_An_Abba_Fan cause all the feedback for his systems have been good, plus it'd be way less than 3g's delivered

hanson1128

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
it comes down to what you can afford. if you can spend the cash to make it reliable and trouble free, then spend the extra to make sure its done right the first time. How much do you want to spend? why not do a full exhaust, stally and diff gears now, which would make it pretty quick, and save up for a few months and then do heads and cam.... or a blower.... you can get second hand MP2300's for 5-6k..... with the right cam and about 10 psi you'd get nearly 600 rwhp.... do you have any future mods after the ones you're looking at?

my cat back does drone, but its a cheaper system. still sounds great and im happy with the sound, and yes there's probably better out there, but the dealer put it on when I bought the car and it sounds a lot better than stock, so i'm not complaining. plus I don't have 3 grand laying around to get a quality brand name, but if I did i'd probably get the Manta from Not_An_Abba_Fan cause all the feedback for his systems have been good, plus it'd be way less than 3g's delivered

Can i only replace a stall converter before i replaced a cam? so what rpm rang stall converter should i go? and run with the stock cam? What's that for?.. Just only avoid sluggish when low rpm?..
I am sure will do the Full Exhaust + OTR before i upgrade cam, i got a funny questions here if you don't mind to help me.. what can a diff gear do, most of people replace that things after upgrade cam... i try to find out what is it and what it can do.. but just don't really get it..

I heard some 2.5" xforce with no drone but 3" will drone, i am thinking go KPM but... its expensive. So my performance shop reckon me to get Full 3" mild steel Hurricane Exhaust and Guarantee the mild steel will not to Drone.. but.. i don't really believe it actually... i used 3" mild steel Hurricane Full Exhaust on my previous VE SSV with a baby cam but it does drone..

I may not go for Blower, yea.. it can gain a lot more power and real quick but.... for me Full Exhaust + Cam.. will be enough for me i guess.... haha. i just want to have the lumpy aggressive V8 sound + at least 310kw at wheel.. i may go for supercharger but.... don't know.. gonna be another big money to spend and may need to change another cam?..... also i don't really go 1/4 miles or Track.. just sometimes race on the street or Highway... then that's it..

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
u will easily get 310rwkw with the ls3, u dont need to get the big cam ur looking at u can go smaller and have 330+rwkw and still have a lumpy idle and also drive excellent on the street with standard stall, unless u want all the power above 6.5k... being hsv u will already have better diff gears and different gear ratios for better take off...

hanson1128

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
u will easily get 310rwkw with the ls3, u dont need to get the big cam ur looking at u can go smaller and have 330+rwkw and still have a lumpy idle and also drive excellent on the street with standard stall, unless u want all the power above 6.5k... being hsv u will already have better diff gears and different gear ratios for better take off...

but mine is an Auto..

hanson1128

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
im now looking at these 2 cams, which one will you go to?

Duration @ .050 - INT 231 - EXT 243
Lobe Separation 113 +Adv
Valve Lift INT 0.617 - EXT 0.623

and

Duration @ .050 - INT 231 - EXT 247
Lobe Separation 113
Valve Lift INT 0.617 - EXT 0.624

jeep pit

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss ute my10.5
Cams with big splits r harder to tune and rougher at idle due to reversion
Where gasses r pushed out the intake valve cause its the path of less restriction during the overlap period
Try and keep the overlap to 4 and the lsa around 112 - 114 and if u want more torque being an auto advance the cam
A 228 xer cam would work well or just get a custom grind to suit you're needs
Of the shelf grinds try and please a broard variety of purposes and often leads to disappointment
CHOOSE WISELY.