Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Confused about window tint

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
This is true, not a myth at all.

Thanks Ricey. Would you care to share the technical info (or where to find it) as both Holden Technical and the techs in Canberra do not know anything about it.

Yes, GPS was the other thing that the metalised film could interfer with. However so does bad weather and tall buildings in the city. I don't have the intergrated SATNAV in my SV6, I use my tomtom which I have not had any issues with...

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Antenna System

Multi-Band Antenna

The AM/FM radio antenna is located on the roof of the vehicle. The radio antenna is enabled when the radio is turned on. The radio supplies battery voltage to the antenna via the coax cable. An internal amplifier amplifies the radio signals from the antenna and transmits them to the radio.

Diversity Antenna

The rear glass antenna system is comprised of the following: an antenna grid near the top of the rear glass which appears similar to the rear defroster grid, an antenna diversity module, and coax cables to connect the module to the radio. The radio supplies battery voltage to the antenna module via the coax cable. The antenna module amplifies the radio signals from the antenna and transmits them to the radio.

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
Antenna System

Multi-Band Antenna

The AM/FM radio antenna is located on the roof of the vehicle. The radio antenna is enabled when the radio is turned on. The radio supplies battery voltage to the antenna via the coax cable. An internal amplifier amplifies the radio signals from the antenna and transmits them to the radio.

Diversity Antenna

The rear glass antenna system is comprised of the following: an antenna grid near the top of the rear glass which appears similar to the rear defroster grid, an antenna diversity module, and coax cables to connect the module to the radio. The radio supplies battery voltage to the antenna module via the coax cable. The antenna module amplifies the radio signals from the antenna and transmits them to the radio.

So are they spliced into the same coax feed? Im told that there are 2 antenna input jacks in the head unit but only one is used, why would they splice 2 into 1 rather than run them independently?

johnzombie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina
Metallic doesn't cause interference to the radio, it reduces the range of your central locking as the receiver module is in the cabin.

I've heard this too. The tint joints told me that it's not affected. I don't believe them on this one.

You won't have issues with metallic or carbon tint so long as it's good film and the installer knows what their doing. SunTek carbon film is excellent. I have a metalised film called solar guard by Quantum on mine. No complaints - visibility is good and no reception issues.

Yeah I've done a bit of reading on JC and I knew about your tint Tinny. I always rate your advice highly and that's why I was leaning towards metallic to begin with.

Diversity Antenna

Never knew this, and neither did the tint shops. They all said "Nah the VE doesn't have an antenna in the rear window, you can have metallic all around if you want. Your mate with the FG will need a non-metallic rear window film"

Also, we ended up calling Tint-a-car in Essendon, just to see what two different franchises of the same business said. The guy there told us that Octane costs $295 (compared with Geelong Tint-a-car's $395 on sale down from $495) and Formula 1 costs $300, which we didn't get a quote from Geelong to compare with. I've got half a mind to make the trip to Essendon to get it done, still weighing up the options though.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
No probs, not sure if the two antennas splice into one coax, the schematic only indicates one input but doesnt show seperate antennas or any splice joins. Will investigate further...