Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

connecting amp to ve original radio

boby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II supercharged s pack and VY lumina
it's a ve 2009, ute using the factory head unit. from the harness i cut the front speaker outputs then sent that to the amp high input i tested to make shure that the wirers were infact the front left and right speakers, i can't exactly remember the colours now. the outputs from the amp are bridge 1-2 and 3-4, the ouput then goes to the cross over, the woofer output then goes to the wires at the harness which originally went to the speakers. the old tweeters are discinnected and the plug not used then the new tweeters are wired down form the dash to the crossover. yes the bluetooth connects automatically once you've done it the first time. yes the bluetooth works fine other then that thump, i have a samsung s8300 ultra touch but it does it with my mates nokia as well theirs nothing else that is abnormal other then that, sytem works fine and sounds awsume.

Luke0011

Car Audio Installer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina 2005
so when connects automatically, does it make the thump or just when you press the connect button when you connect it manually???

boby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II supercharged s pack and VY lumina
both thats why it gets frustrating

dangergreen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V 6.2
Hi,
Thanks for this pin diagram. Would you happen to know which pins holden are using to send the audio signal to the rear amp on the Calais V model? I've got a Calais V Sportwagon, which doesn't come with the rear amp / subs as per the sedan, but i thought there'd still be the pins available on my deck, to add an amplifier myself without needing to use an LOC. Any ideas? Cheers!

aurora

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE sv6ute
can anyone help me with my amp install. Im not quite sure how to access the back of the headunit to wire in to the rear spkr outs. Ive got a ve sv6 ute and plan to run the speaker wires along the driver side of centre console. Just needing some help to get behind the plastics.. (where to pull, what to squeeze, what not to break :S)

Pics n tips would be great.. or even a link to a previous thread but i couldn't find any after days of googleing

Thanks everyone

zr1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Hi All,

Newbie here to the forum and sorta new to modifying car audio, been reading for a while and have seen some great posts. Sorry to hijack the post but it seemed like a good post to pop this in. Had a VE SS for 3 years now and finally got sick of the stock sound. I’m not an audiophile but I do like my music. Anyway I spent a few hundred dollars on some Sony 4 ways to replace the front and rear door speakers, and disconnected the front centre speaker. I couldn't believe the difference it made to the sound, but now I’m hooked and want more. I want to install a sub and want to clarify if I can simply splice a 2 channel LOC into the rear speaker cables run the output of the LOC to a 4 channel amp, continue to run the rear doors speakers of 2 of the amp channels and then run a sub of the other channel. And how does the sub run off a channel on the amp, doesn’t a sub normally have a single RCA type output being a mono signal? Sorry if they are dumb questions, but as I said a newbie at modifying stereo’s

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
I'd be doing it this way:

(sorry about the bad paint skills)
Untitled-1.png

Using either a 4ch LOC or two 2ch LOCs, getting their signals from the front and rear speaker outputs on the head-unit. Then power the front speakers off the front 2 channels of the amp.

The sub is powered off the "bridged" outputs of the remaining 2 channels. This basically means you joining 2 channels into one, which normally is double the power (or more) than the single channel output power......this is ideal for subs. So yes, you connect the RCAs to the amp as normal then look at the writing for the outputs, where it says "rear speakers" (or ch 3+4), it should also have the + and - marking plus a "bridged + and -" marking. Use those to run to your subwoofer.

Hope this helps.

zr1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
I'd be doing it this way:

(sorry about the bad paint skills)
Untitled-1.png

Using either a 4ch LOC or two 2ch LOCs, getting their signals from the front and rear speaker outputs on the head-unit. Then power the front speakers off the front 2 channels of the amp.

The sub is powered off the "bridged" outputs of the remaining 2 channels. This basically means you joining 2 channels into one, which normally is double the power (or more) than the single channel output power......this is ideal for subs. So yes, you connect the RCAs to the amp as normal then look at the writing for the outputs, where it says "rear speakers" (or ch 3+4), it should also have the + and - marking plus a "bridged + and -" marking. Use those to run to your subwoofer.

Hope this helps.

Gday Holdenboy,

thanks heaps, that's a huge help, but to clarify are you saying to run the font speakers and the sub through the amp, but the rear speakers just through the head unit. otherwise woudn't you need a total of 6 channls, i.e 2 fronts, 2 rears and the sub

cheera mate

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yes thats correct. Youre far better off to use the 4ch to power the fronts and the sub. The rears can just continue to run off the head-unit, theyre mainly for rear seat passengers so a simple upgrade to co-axials is all thats needed (which youve done). Plus, if you ever decide to upgrade the fronts again to component speakers you'll already have the wiring / amp in place.

zr1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Yes thats correct. Youre far better off to use the 4ch to power the fronts and the sub. The rears can just continue to run off the head-unit, theyre mainly for rear seat passengers so a simple upgrade to co-axials is all thats needed (which youve done). Plus, if you ever decide to upgrade the fronts again to component speakers you'll already have the wiring / amp in place.

Ahh thats tops mate, thanks heaps for that, you've been a big help. Can't wait to get cracking on it.

cheers