Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Constant air flow from fuel filler

zoenryan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 , VZ Wagon V6, VE Saloon V6 LPG, VX V6
Hi - recently bought a MY07 VZ wagon for the misses - got it cheap as the timing chains were stretched and had a lot of fun replacing them . Running well now but still a couple of issues.
I have read a lot about these cars being difficult to start after filling - have the same problem.
Noticed that if you let the filler gauge raise to the full mark first - then crank the engine its a lot better !!!
The other one is a constant flow of air escaping from the fuel filler - a lot. something is pressurizing the tank , and believe the constant flow of air is taking a lot of petrol vapor with it .

Any ideas ? - By the way - this is what I found when starting to replace the timing chains - left bank
upload_2017-4-25_10-15-38.png

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
Well seeing as nobody has replied, I will try and help. It is probably a faulty purge solenoid, have a look at the diagram attached.

Attachments

• Fuel.pdf
    84.2 KB · Views: 156

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Why are there no teeth on your cam gears?

zoenryan

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well seeing as nobody has replied, I will try and help. It is probably a faulty purge solenoid, have a look at the diagram attached.
Thanks for that - I have been looking at various post on the net and also noticed that the vacuum line from the purge valve to the inlet manifold is broken - I read somewhere that if the engine vacuum is weak , the ECU will try to richen the mixture, and have had a few MIL lights with the Fault code for "too rich at idle" - so all seems to fit . Will fix the hose this week end and see if this clears it . also found a good article on how to check if the PV is holding vacuum and working properly .I guess what surprised me was the volume of air coming out - like an almost constant farting noise .
How often does the PV operate ?

zoenryan

Reaction score
Members Ride
Why are there no teeth on your cam gears?
Dont know - guess they are made that way. Notice the slack in the chain on the right with the chain sitting properly on the sprocket . also notice the chain tensioner at full extension
upload_2017-4-27_21-46-30.png

Compare to this one with new chains, guides and tensioners fitted
upload_2017-4-27_21-49-38.png

Big difference.

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Station Wagon
Impressed with the detail in your pics. Very helpful for people seeking to do their chains, and to understand what happens. Thank for your trouble.