Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ No injector Pulse or Fuel pump prime (SOLVED)

CommoBloke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon VDJ79 series cab chassis
Hey Guys, been a while since i last posted, (probably a good thing haha).
bit of backstory for those who love reading.

I"ve had my 2005 VZ acclaim wagon LE0 for a few years now, bought it cheap at $600 with a supposed snapped timing chain, well it was just a snapped valve spring so easy fix. all was well for about 12 months then the timing chain started the dreaded rattle, so i replaced them with the old eBay special kit for $180 and that got me out trouble for about 18 months so i cant complain.

now i was on the way home from work one day, traveling uphill, auto downshifted and then clunk and the engine died and wouldnt restart. i assumed the timing chains let go so on the car trailer it goes, took it home and was ready to take it to scrap. my old man wanted it so i gave it to him to do whatever he wanted.

he proceeded to strip the front of the engine and inspect. what he found was the timing chains in tact and tight as they should be. what he also found was the timing gear had actually sheared the dowel pin on the crank and in turn has bent majority of the valves.
purchased a second hand engine, swapped heads over, replaced timing chains and gears again (he anal on changing things while its already stripped) and replaced dowel pin on crank and cleaned everything up in the process.

put it all together finally got it off the hoist started backed it out ready to take it to work the following day, it ran fine, it actually ran better than it did for me. move on to the next day started and moved about 5 meters and it just cut out. i done some digging and found that the fuel pump only primed every now and then (between 10-15 key cycles) and there is no injector pulse. so i assumed the immobiliser has kicked in and cutting fuel. i"ve done a heck of a lot of reading on this issue and cant for the life of me figure this out. what i have added to my collective knowledge is that the ecu dieing is a far more common thing than it should be, and that the whole linking ecu bim and pcm is a hell of process to navigate for the backyard fixerupperer that likes to do things on the cheap.

what i have tried so far.
-Bridge fuel pump relay, fuel pump runs
-removed fuel rail and cranked while fuel pump relay is bridged, no injectors are firing
-got my hands on a complete set of ecu, bim, pim and fob, installed this afternoon but problem still perisists.
-starts on aerostart so it has spark and timing.

I am absolutely stumped at what do next as my original plan on taking it to scrap is looking pretty bloody good right now.
appreciate any input you guys can provide as you are all a very knowlageble bunch.
sorry for the essay but i always see you lot asking for more information so the more i add here the less likely ill p*ss you lot off

2005 VZ Wagon Acclaim LE0 Alloytec auto

TL;DR
alloytec died stopped running, now have no injector pulse or fuel pump.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The pump might not prime if fuel pressure is sufficient. That is, if previous start attempt failed but the pump primed and line pressurised.

So let’s look at injector pulse.
Can you get a cheap noid set?

Maybe a test light on one of the pins for the injectors. One pin should be 12v and the other the control.
Earthed test light will show the 12v to determine the control pin. Just touch the test light tip on the pin. Don’t push it in. Once you know that. You know which is the control. Connect the test light to battery positive and touch (not in) the test light on the control pin. Get someone to try start. You should get a really weak flicker in the test light. An LED test light won’t work. Has to be an old skool one. All going well there is something.

Theres more but dog wants a walk. He is hassling me.

As a guess, the parts canon option, the crank angle sensor can be a mofo. It’s not entirely clear in diagrams but members have found it’s integral to the start/security system. They aren’t expensive so a guess would be to use a spare or grab a new one and see if it works. Back right of the exhaust manifold.

Last edited:

CommoBloke

Reaction score
Members Ride
i had a feeling that might be the case regarding the priming.

i have a mate that works at repco so i can try get a discounted noid set possibly tommorow.

i do have a few old skool test lights floating around if i cant get the noid set.
i also have a CAS that the old boy got with the s/hand engine, can possibly try that aswell.

appreciate your response, now take the bloody dog out for walkies before the dog takes you.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
It’s hot. He did a lap of the park and got too hot, so wanted to go home.

Did see a nice VZ SSV Ute though. That was a win.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
a test light and noid are very different so be careful, a test light draws current which some electronic items wont like

CommoBloke

Reaction score
Members Ride
righto lads. problem solved. relatively easy fix.

the old boy snapped the red retainer clip on the injector harness plug amid his shenanigans and replaced it but not correctly. so either the old boy or myself has managed to plug the injector harness in 180 degrees. pulled the retainer clip, rotated it and inserted the plug in correctly. hit the key and she fired up first shot.

appreciate the input for a pretty dumb mistake.

while I've got you here though, another issue has surfaced. after I started it, I put it in gear, the doors locked. back into park and they unlock and so forth. what possible reason could cause this? i am yet to put the original BCM and ECU back in but could it possibly be an issue in the BCM that i put in?

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, it’s a setting via the cluster. From memory, our Calais also had that feature based on speed.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon

CommoBloke

Reaction score
Members Ride
I didn't even realise that was a feature on the vz

Thanks for the help.