Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Converting VN to Climate Control

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
First picture is how ive wired the AC relay, cant test this yet cause there's no gas.

Second i how ive wired the blower motor and relay, I cant see whats wrong?

I'll print the diagrams you have done and compare to my notes from when I did the upgrade and get back to you.:thumbsup:

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
First picture is how ive wired the AC relay, cant test this yet cause there's no gas.

Second i how ive wired the blower motor and relay, I cant see whats wrong?

OK from my notes, you have the violet yellow on spot 30 and black on spot 87 and this is the problem.

Move the Violet Yellow to spot 87 and the Black to spot 30. See how you go with that change.:thumbsup:

(middle photo in post no 63 has the relay photo - it's not the best but shows the other wires in the correct spot)

Last edited:

ashleysnep

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
355 VN GRP A REP
Why would it matter between terminals 30 and 87? It's just a switch it has no polarity?

Anyway ill try it and let you know, but then ill want to know how the hell it made a differnce!!! :p

How's my AC relay wiring looking?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Why would it matter between terminals 30 and 87? It's just a switch it has no polarity?

Anyway ill try it and let you know, but then ill want to know how the hell it made a differnce!!! :p

How's my AC relay wiring looking?

Just so you know I'm colour blind and dislexic. (make colour wires and that tough) I had my brother work the wires out when the conversion failed to run on fan speed 1 & 2. I looked at the photo's of the relay and thats all I could see that was different from yours.

In short I had 3 issues when installing the climate system. No fan speed on 1 & 2, the blower motor was going the wrong way and when I took the standard thermostat out of the old heater box I did not connect the wires to complete the circuit.

As for relay and polarity - I fail :embarrass. I have no idea at all....

ashleysnep

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
355 VN GRP A REP
lol, well if all else fails ill get a hold of a spare CC resister and try that, right now im hopping thats the problem!

That standard thermostat was near the blower motor wasent it? Cause the 2 wires there, was the ones i joined.

Thanks for your help anyway with the conversion :thumbsup: I enjoy it when i require full speed, but i didnt need it today with all the dust!

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
lol, well if all else fails ill get a hold of a spare CC resister and try that, right now im hopping thats the problem!

That standard thermostat was near the blower motor wasent it? Cause the 2 wires there, was the ones i joined.

Thanks for your help anyway with the conversion :thumbsup: I enjoy it when i require full speed, but i didnt need it today with all the dust!

Could be the resistor.

Yes for the thermostat wires - and yep need to be joined for the A/C to cut in.

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
Just had a quick read and great job.. Just wondering if you could just get a loom out of a car that had climate control and just plug it in and swap heater boxes and stuff?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Just had a quick read and great job.. Just wondering if you could just get a loom out of a car that had climate control and just plug it in and swap heater boxes and stuff?

Yes you can swap over the climate system from the VN mk2 to an early VN.

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
Saw a vp Calais at pick a part but the inside was totally stripped..