Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cops and p platers

adamc11

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS V Z M6
That's why if you're on a licence and you display 'L' plates you can cop a ticket. I've given it before.

VicCop.. on occasion my mum drives my brothers car and she forgets to take down the p plates. If she is pulled up, will she be booked?

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
VicCop.. on occasion my mum drives my brothers car and she forgets to take down the p plates. If she is pulled up, will she be booked?

Yes, depending if shes a milf or not :p jkn man, yeah its illegal to have them on display, and she can be fined, just depends on the copper at the time like anything.

VicCop

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SV6 SII

'Display P plate when not Probationary Licensed Driver' - that's the offence (ticket).

They're really attitude offences, or thrown in when a learner decides to try trick us and put P plates up to make it look like they've got a licence when they don't.

An occasion I gave one for being licensed and having L plates on:

I stop and have a chat to see what the go is. After usual lead up and intro the driver hands me a full car licence. I say, "You have a full licence and you're displaying L plates?".

The reply I was expecting was:

"Oh bugger, I forgot all about them, I just dropped [someone] off and they're a learner and I forgot to take the plates down. I'll take them down now, oh I'm so sorry".

The reply I actually got was:
"Oh yes, you see my wife, she drives the car now and then and she is learning"
I said, "So you just left them up all the time?"
His reply, "Yes, I just leave them on".

Do you see a slight difference?

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Have you ever written up a full licence driver for having P plates on? My gf has P plate stickers on her car that I can't take off (without replacing them). So I drive around as a P plater in her car.

Even though I am strictly breaking the law, I'd expect a cop to show a bit of leniency there.

VicCop

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SV6 SII
Have you ever written up a full licence driver for having P plates on? My gf has P plate stickers on her car that I can't take off (without replacing them). So I drive around as a P plater in her car.

Even though I am strictly breaking the law, I'd expect a cop to show a bit of leniency there.

I've never given it but an offence all the same.

Again, it's an attitude ticket.

Cursed CX8

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra
My brother got a ticket for this. Him and his Gf left a concert in the city. His gf had a drink or 2 so my brother drove home. But he left the P's up.
The car was a VL with a catback, it wasnt that loud though. The motor bike copper pulled him over, gave him a ticket for doing 62 in a 60zone, and also a fine for displaying the P's. I was in the back seat, i tell ya, the copper was a right prick about things, yelling at my brother and didnt even try understand that he was trying to do the right things but forgot about the p's

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
I once asked a copper here in SA & his answer was he wouldnt do it, but I always took it as a time & place thing.....

This was when I was on my P's & my husband would just leave them up if he drove my car.

I like the term 'attitude ticket' :thumbsup:

Kage

Reaction score
Members Ride
'89 series 1 VN
I was being followed by a cop for a couple of km's and i know my speedo's a tad slow to respond and maybe a bit out...just wondering if i was speeding would he of pulled me over or could he just send the ticket? he seemed to go out of his way to follow me as he cut across 2 lanes at the last minute to follow me... cheers

they must be able to proove in court that you where speeding. no speed gun = no proof. moving car = no speed gun... no fine :p

its a technicallity but it works - i've done it :p

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
they must be able to proove in court that you where speeding. no speed gun = no proof. moving car = no speed gun... no fine :p

calibrated speedo usually allows them to fine you for speeding if they stay behind you for a set period of time.

| evaN |

mmm bass
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT

i got pulled over for doing 117 in a 110 zone by a cop driving in the opposite direction :bang: so they can still measure your speed