Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cops and p platers

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Why the hell didn't you just get a proper licence to start with? :p

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
do they use ANPR by any chance? or is it being trialled?

ANPR is in production in the ACT and works great!

The cops sit in the van monitoring it. When I worked for for one of the Federal Govt. Agencies involved with its development, they came and gave us a demo. Within the 30min we watched it in use, they'd recorded about 10 unregistered cars and about 6 cars with unlicenced registered owners. All the data is corelated overnight with the RTA and fines sent out.

As it's done in a Police van by coppers, they often get traffic ops guys in cars and on bike pull up and let them know they'll sit just down the road for a bit so they can radio ahead and get them, then and there.

Cool stuff!

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
I worked in a building with another company that had something to do with ANPR trialling/dev a few months ago, there was a 'demo' SS fitted up with all kindsa cameras and fun stuff, but it was always kept under wraps! - I imagine it's not too far away though.

I don't know whether it's an image scanning process, or if they use IR or something fancy, but I can imagine soon enough it'll be easier to get away with driving a stolen/unregged car by just not putting any plates on there lol

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
VicCop do cops care much if they find a p plater driving a manual but only have an auto licence...ive been contempleting driving my brother manual ute just to drop some stuff off at the tip but ive only got an auto licence...is it worth the risk? or big fines?

The biggest issue will be if you have an accident. The insurance company will not insure you if you are not licensed to drive the vehicle.

Reaper

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
VicCop do cops care much if they find a p plater driving a manual but only have an auto licence...ive been contempleting driving my brother manual ute just to drop some stuff off at the tip but ive only got an auto licence...is it worth the risk? or big fines?

If your confident enough in a manual why didnt you get a manual licence?

lukas pukas

Bukake, better than cream
Reaction score
Members Ride
RS Liberty/KTM 250sxf
I worked in a building with another company that had something to do with ANPR trialling/dev a few months ago, there was a 'demo' SS fitted up with all kindsa cameras and fun stuff, but it was always kept under wraps! - I imagine it's not too far away though.

I don't know whether it's an image scanning process, or if they use IR or something fancy, but I can imagine soon enough it'll be easier to get away with driving a stolen/unregged car by just not putting any plates on there lol

they have been using ANPR for awhile in sa, first saw it on a cruise when the cops blocked everyone in and there was only one exit. police were going over cars they had a little camera on the side of the cop car, focused the cars that were getting checked out, somehow it read the number plate and did a check on it! quite cool

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Maybe, just maybe he wasnt confident at the time he got his auto's! Wow, im a psychic.

Then how did he learn to drive manual, you dont get better just thinking about it :p

Guessing he drove on friends farms and up and down the driveway lol

Emackulation

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 HSV VP GTS
Then how did he learn to drive manual, you dont get better just thinking about it :p

Guessing he drove on friends farms and up and down the driveway lol
Ever herd of putting L plates on and driving a manual with a fully licenced driver in your passenger seat??