Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Corny4's VH SL/X Soon to be 304and T5 =D

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
how does your gilmer setup sit? in relation to the alternator? how long is the belt for it? im doin the same conversion except its a vr ss motor and bolting up a th350 to it

CORNY4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 304 EFI T5
Cheers Powerbait, for the amount of time I spent on it, I think it looks alright. Im in my polished look phase at the moment haha.

And mr j-man, I haven't bolted it all up to the motor yet. The instructions said that I only need spacers if the water pump pully doesn't clear the water pump housing. So I have no idea. It says on the belt 420L150HSN but I can get the old measuring tape out for you if you want.

HSV802

Reaction score
Members Ride
RIP HSV Senator. Current 2002 VX2 HSV Clubsport.
Awesome project, good progress.

Be wicked to see this back on the road with the injected 5.0 in it.

What are your other plans with it? (ie- paint, wheels)

CORNY4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 304 EFI T5
Thanks, At the moment im just going to get it all together and running/ Drivable. Then next year am planing on pulling it apart again, smoothing out the engine bay, then spraying the whole car some sort of blue to match the interior. (Yet to decide what shade though) And at the same time while the motors out, Going to stroke it out to 355ci as my boss is gonna help me out and do the cam ect. For wheels im liking the VE GTS rims. Quite pricey though. Or even better I'ld like to go for some old school looking wheels.

Mike

CORNY4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 304 EFI T5
Didn't get to much done this weekend, was a bit busy with birthdays and stuff and was crap weather. But this arvo I've been sanding back my rocker covers and cleaned up the motor. Also chucked my Gilmer crank pully on and tomorow I get my new water pump and thermostat.

CORNY4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 304 EFI T5
Finally got the engine crane, Got the Starfire out tonight and will try clean up the engine bay tommorow so I can get the 304 in over the weekend.

Starfirecomingout.jpg

BIG DYL

BIG DYL
Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT calais
ganna be a sick cam man

CORNY4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 304 EFI T5
Thanks, Just spent the last 2 hours, removing both the sub-frames, was an absolute mission to move them both round by myself. But am really happy with what I got done.

Tomorrows plan is to put the VN's subframe in the VH, Then get the 304 all ready to go in (wouldn't mind giving it a lick of paint first.)

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
sorry for a late 'heads up, but its TONNES easier to drop the car onto the engine and k-frame.

especially if you are running with headers. you get the K-frame on chassis stands/bricks/spare wheels (whatever) attach everything to the k-frame, so steering, headers, engine, trans. starter etc so its sitting on the ground complete, so it looks kinda like this:
100_3707.jpg

get a couple of blocks of wood in the holes on the top of the strut towers tie the wood to an old seatbelt or chains and lift the body onto the frame.

i took some pics last weekend when i did mine, but my internet is capped.

the body itself with nothing attached weighs less than your engine and trans, and it saves the MASSIVE head frick of putting the headers on while you lower the block.

just sayin'

CORNY4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 304 EFI T5
Oh well, I'll see how this goes, If I run into any problems, I'll try the way you did it.
Cheers though haha