Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Corny4's VH SL/X Soon to be 304and T5 =D

CORNY4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 304 EFI T5
I have a set of headers from the VN, But got told they wouldn't fit? So was going to try source some of those pacemakers designed to fit the VH

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
well, danny8 knows more bout' this than me, but according to him, if you get a VL steering rack and intermiadate shaft, you can run with VN VR VS tube headers.

but even still its gonna be HUGE f'k around getting them in, cos you gotta get them in the gap between bellhousing and steering shaft and twist-turn (read: hammer the **** out of) them till they go through and clear your chassis rails.

the pacemakers that fit VN heads in VK are 700 bucks, so hopefully the steering rack option is cheaper. i dunno yet.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
Just use the kframe, steering rack and front suspension out of the VN, and the tube headers, and it SHOULD drop in and bolt up, and yeah use a VL intermediate shaft to go from the steering column to the VN rack. I haven't done it like that, I bought some castle headers, but a mate put an injected 5.0L in his VK using the front end from a VQ I think, and the extractors he bought off me which were the tube ones which some VN/VP/VQ's were optioned with. I'm not sure if ya have to "massage" the trans tunnel or anything to make them fit, but I know they will fit. Oh yeah and it's definitely better to sit them in the engine bay b4 ya put ya motor in.....not sure if they'll even go in afterwards.

Have a read of this thread, this is the guy I'm referring too.
Holden Commodore Club of SA

CORNY4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 304 EFI T5
Subframes in! finally. Took a bit of messing round but its all ready for the motor

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
Just use the kframe, steering rack and front suspension out of the VN, and the tube headers, and it SHOULD drop in and bolt up, and yeah use a VL intermediate shaft to go from the steering column to the VN rack. I haven't done it like that, I bought some castle headers, but a mate put an injected 5.0L in his VK using the front end from a VQ I think, and the extractors he bought off me which were the tube ones which some VN/VP/VQ's were optioned with. I'm not sure if ya have to "massage" the trans tunnel or anything to make them fit, but I know they will fit. Oh yeah and it's definitely better to sit them in the engine bay b4 ya put ya motor in.....not sure if they'll even go in afterwards.

Have a read of this thread, this is the guy I'm referring too.
Holden Commodore Club of SA
how do the dudes at the muffler shops get the headers in on an existing motor???

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
how do the dudes at the muffler shops get the headers in on an existing motor???

When we got a shop to change the extractors on our race car they had heaps of trouble. I rekon they ended up unbolting the engine mounts one at a time and lifted the motor a bit to sit them in. Also dropped the steering rack. It all depends on wat extractors u use. Some might drop straight in, others are a complete head f**k.

CORNY4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 304 EFI T5
Oh yeah,

Got a bit done today, motors in!

Before,
Starfirebefore.jpg

After,
VH304.jpg

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

CORNY4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 304 EFI T5
A bit more done today, Got the Fuel tank and the diff out (will get some pics up). Also can get the headers in and out easily enough (Probably because the box aint in yet) except the right hand side are mighty close to the power steering lines my the power steering pump? I've got a roll of heat wrap. Should I use that?

Cheers Mike