Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cracked Rim Repair (the truth)

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
The only thing I'd suggest is that the whole rim should be annealed afterwards but the risk of failure is very very low.

That would be my concern with it. The properties of most Aluminium alloys alter a lot with heat treatment.

There's no in principle reason why a wheel couldn't be welded (both welding and the original manufacturing are casting processes).

I'd like to look at that AS1638 standard.

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
Tubless tyres do not "blow out", so even if the rim cracked again the worst that can happen is a rapid deflation.

Doesn't say anything about a rim being welded in the ADR's, so as long as the repairer is competent, then it will be fine.

It is, however, unroadworthy to have a cracked rim on the car. Once it is repaired, it is no longer cracked.

this makes sense, nothing wrong with using a repaired wheel

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I'd like to look at that AS1638 standard.

Apparently they are available for free viewing at any state library. But you have to book a PC to do it.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
Even if this is safe, your insurance company will use it to avoid paying should you crash for other reasons. You said it yourself the car is unroadworthy.

Insurance companies actually use wheel repairers themselves so they aren't going to deny a claim based on that, providing the repair was carried out professionally
If it's repaired to an Australian Standard, it's not unroadworthy

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
If so, which one?
What structural tests were conducted on the repaired rim?

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
I was scrolling backwards and saw the pic before the text. Thought I was going to have to ban someone for posting pics of dicks being sucked.

lol swear to god it never even crossed my mind that it looked like that.... youd seek medical advice if your junk looked like that...

Swordsy

mmmm beer....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VUII Maloo R8 - HX Tonner - XJR1200 - XR450R
There is a mob up here in Newcastle that repairs alloy rims. Had some done (and a few mates have as well) and never had a problem with them.
I know after he welds it, he runs it on the lathe and then anneals them with the oxy.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
was it repaired to an Australian Standard?

if it's repaired to AS1638 'Motor Vehicles - Light Alloy Road Wheels' (the standard to which wheel repairers must comply) then it's safe as any other ADR approved wheel
You'll have to look up the standard to find out what sort of testing they require in order to comply

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
does ADR's really mean anything? i mean if you look at it this rim is ADR approved from factory yet still cracked.