Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Crank case vent smell in engine bay

alan_blue

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 ve ss
mine has got less of a smell now, not sure why but is there sometimes but not often, will see how it goes i guess

Thumpin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SSV Sportwagon
Well Hexem and Bluessv, the oil smell is gone:beer chug:

My local dealer had never heard of the Dexos 1 oil but were surprised to see the P/N appear on their database. They got it in the same day.

After I told them what I was trying to achieve, they said that its not the first time they have heard the complaint from a SII SS owners but previously discounted it as mis-diagnosed issue.

They rang someone and explained what I had learnt via JC and whoever they rang, told them to order some extra Dexos1 which they did. 12 extra packs. Makes you wonder if there's not some sort of cover-up going on here:censored:

I'm also going to pass-on my experiences to Valvoline as there is an obvious non-compatability issue with the L77 SII 6 litre, IMO.

I still can't explain "why" I had the oil smell which is frustrating but time will tell if it becomes more common. At least JC readers will have a place to start.

Cheers.

Last edited:

PhatCommy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais, VR Wagon
I've got the same smell with my car, I think my mechanic is running castrol oil in mine. I've asked him before to check where the smell was coming from and he couldn't find anything wrong. It's interesting back when I was getting it serviced at the holden dealer it never had the smell. I might have chat to my mechanic tomorrow about switching to the AC Delco dexos 1 oil. Hopefully that will fix it.

Thumpin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SSV Sportwagon
I would recommend the AC Delco Dexos 1 oil as the preferred oil for the late model V8's until a suitable mainstream oil comes along.

Valvoline (Aust) have indicated that their new Synpower DX1 fully synthetic oil will be available very soon and will become the recommended oil for the VE V8's.

Is it a coincidence that "Dexos1" & "DX1" are similar...

theblueweapon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV A6 ute
I had my SSV 9.5 AFM ute serviced at a "performance" workshop that uses and recommends Valvoline and I noticed the smell of crankcase venting when driving home after the service. I searched all over for the source and decided to just leave it as I assummed that they must have dropped a small bit of oil onto the exhaust.

The smell never really went away and was more evident when stopped at lights. Just decided to cruise with the windows down instead. Took the car in to Holden for the next service and presto, the smell was gone. When I asked if they found anything that would cause the smell and they said that everything was fine and they just done a routing service with oil change. BINGO! Must have been the Valvoline oil. Not sure what is in there now but may try the ACDelco (part number 19246958) next. Cheers for the oil tip.

Thumpin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SSV Sportwagon
Just a follow-up to this thread.
There has been a rare occasion that I still get a sort of oil smell when idling at lights. Maybe I'm imagining the smell due to paranoia but I can live with it.

I told another SS owner who mentioned his new car has the same smell issue. He promptly changed his oil to the Dexos1 but the smell didn't change. After speaking with his local dealer they removed the car's pollen filter and it smelled like oil residue. They changed the filter and no more smell.

I'm stuffed to think how the filter would smell of oil????
Maybe the crankcase smell had just contaminated the filter. IMO, if the engine bay area smells (when engine is hot and running) then its not a pollen filter issue.

Anyways, my friend was quick to blame me for a $140 oil change that wasn't due.
Give a few Weeks to see if the smell returns (probably not as he now has Dexos1 in there..)

Anyone else made any oil smell discoveries ?