Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

crankshaft & camshaft position sensor issue

darrenvp23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive
my V6 SIDI 3.0L VE has given me the P0016, P0017 & P0172 codes ive been told the timing chain could have stretched ? i was quoted $2000 for a mechanic to repair however is there anything else i can check first before i spend money i dont have?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Have you had the software update done yet? That can sometimes fix the errors with sensors.

h8tensv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 SV6 2002 VX 1989 VN 5 Litre
Definitely get the software update done first. As your car is the sidi engine, they are less likely to suffer cam chain failures than the older engines. That's not saying it's not possible but I had engine light coming on randomly in my sidi 3.6 litre and I was thinking cam chains but Holden found a faulty sensor causing it. They changed the sensor and for $120 did the upgrade to the software at the same time and I have had no problems since. They said software isn't the magic fix for everything and if I get the alarm again it will mean cam chains but they said will be highly unlikely in sidi engines.