Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cruise control in v6 conversion

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
I have just installed a cruise control setup from a vn/p/r/s into a vh v6 conversion...everything works but the only drama is the speed signal....just wondered if the 2 pulse speed sensor output that I am running for the computer is the right signal to be putting on this green wire feeding the stepper motor or it has to be modified for it to work....has anyone done this to a car with this conversion?

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
lol I am about to do this to my VK, I havent looked into this I knew I would need to what you need to do is to look at a vn wiring diagram and see if the cruise module goes via the gearbox sensor, dash for computer and then that will tell you what pulse it needs.
However the cruise shouldnt care what speed your doing its job is just to match the speed and keep it there, so in theory as long as the pulse is consistant it will work

scott

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
The Buick v6 speed signal (in the original car) goes straight from the sensor to the dash, the dash then has one or two outputs of different pulses to the input, one goes to the ECU and the other i believe was for cruise control but it may also have ran of the same wire as the ECU. A 10 and 5 pulse output comes to mind but thats probably wrong.

Im no expert but the 2 pulse signal is probably to low for the cruise to work, maybe try and set the cruise at something like 150km/h and see what happens haha.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
that sounds right if its coming out of the speedo it would probably be after the divide by 5 on the way to the ecu.

You dont tell the cruise module what speed your doing all your asking it to do is maintain the speed so as long as the pulse is consistant it should work fine.
It dont matter if its getting 10 pulses a second 50 or 1000 once you press your set button it will maintain that speed.

Scott

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
What i was thinking with the cruise trying to run off the 2 pulse is that its not seeing a high enough speed to engage as dont they only work over 50Km/h an hour or something? And getting a 2 pulse instead of 5 would be less then half the speed your actually traveling at, so its not seeing its minimum pulse rate to engage or something like that.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
If you look at the back of the cluster it calls the cruise control terminal 2 pulse output as well as 2 other terminals so I assume you only need a 2 pulse signal to work...I wasnt sure if the 2 pulse signal generated by the new speed sensor is the right peak value for the cruise to recogonise...I know the original speedo modifies the 10 pulse signal to output get 2 pulses just not sure what else it does to the signal...anyway I might just connect it and try it...see if it works....I made up a on/ off switch and set/coast switch setup in place of the original vh clock.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I'm also looking at fitting VN cruise to my VH
I've got a VN cruise module and downloaded the wiring diagram, just haven't got around to playing with it yet. I've only just finished wiring the VH A/C switch up through the engine management system

I picked up a dark claret VH SL/E column switch that I'm going to wire it up to. Will still need a power on/off switch though
let us know how you go. Might take some of the hard work out of it for me lol ;)

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
I also was going to try a column original cruise style switch but it has a switch that doesnt latch...that is it is a action that only makes as long as you have your finger on it and it works with 2 actions as you press it down it makes half way to turn the old/vh/k vacuum controlled cruise setup on and makes another contact as it goes all the way to engage the unit. I took the guts out of the old vh clock and put a toggle type switch with a red led in it to show when you turn it on and then a rocker switch beside it that has a a centre off and a momentary action top and bottom for resume/ accel and coast/set functions. got all the parts and switches from jaycar
I tested it and it all works...just needs the pulses to work in the car at speed. The radio has the time on it anyway.
vhcruiseswitch-1.jpg

switchdiagram.jpg

Last edited:

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
I have looked into wiring mine up from a switch point of view

You need to build a latching circuit for the 2 stage factory momentary switch, for on & off & set.
Looking through my notes you can also use a SPDT relay to do the same job.

I was going to take it a step further on my VK, I was going to use a spare calais trip computer surround and take the buttons out of it and fit them up to a standard dash for the reset, + & - buttons

The end result it should look factory on the surface.

Scott

Last edited:

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
Heres a toggle circuit I think you can do it with a couple of relays. like this
relaycircuit2.jpg

but I fitted all the circuit below into a large abs style relay complete with base and plug so it looks factory
cruisecircuit-1.png

Last edited: