Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cruise Control Problems

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
Hi Everyone i have a VS Berlina and my cruise control wont set the speed, on a rare occation it does work but will cut out after a while, i hold the set button in and the light comes on but when i let go of the set button it goes out, ive checked and tested both the cruise switch and brake switch under the dash and there fine. any ideas?

A

airfireman1

Re cruise control

There are 2 switches ways to deactivate the cruise control, The switch on the left side of the brake pedal( it can be the cause of a lot of problems as its adjustment is critical) and also it works of the brake light swith, check that all connections are secure

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
ive checked the bcm cables, crusie control cables and checked the throttle cable, ive also checked both the switchs under the dash, funny thing is though, one day it will work say in the morning flawlessly then in the arvo it wont go at all, orange light comes on when i press the button then when i let go it goes out. im thinking i should try a new cruise control module/motor in the engine bay?

jazza21

Executive (Ex-Police)
Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VS II Exec 1997
I had a similar problem with my VS for a while, and it had me thinking the worst.

Turned out the brake lights I had were shorting out through the regualr parker lights, turning all brake lights on (spoiler included) which told the Cruise Control unit that the brakes were being applied. I drive with lights on all the time so the power going through the parker light system then went back into the break lights causing the problem.

I'd suggest checking all your bulbs for melted or broken filaments. Also any mechanism in the car that relates to the brake lights coming on. If you have an after-market spoiler check it's wired properly. This will be a cheaper option to resolve than replacing something else that aint broke.

Jazza

earlgray

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais V6
Indicator/cruise control stem.

Your problem almost certainly sounds like a broken wire in the stem to me. It's a very common fault, and I'm told you can fix it in most cases, provided you take care opening the switch at the base of the stem.

The wires are very fine and break easily and intermittently make contact when you press the button but move away when you let it go or use the indicator.

If you're not into fine solder work, there's a bod on eBay who has after market stems for less than half the price of genuine GMH, and the quality is every bit as good as far as I'm concerned.

I think the mob is called KAR Automotive and they're in Queensland, but will pack & post the goods (for a price).

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Damo83

VE MY09 SV6
Reaction score
Website
meettomy.site
Members Ride
VF SV6 Black Edition Sportswagon My17
HI guys,

I have cruise controll fitted in to my esteem about 2 years ago, had no problems with it. Few weeks ago , i was driving on the high way and turned the cc on but the orange wont come up or even wont stay the speed. I have 3 cruise control module and tried all of them and none seems to work. I have two cruise control stalk and checked in side for any wire problem No problem with it. And my brakes switches are fine. Some one could give me some advise hate going the auto elec wasting too much money. Thanks!!!

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
most times it's a faulty switch under the brake petal

Damo83

VE MY09 SV6
Reaction score
Website
meettomy.site
Members Ride
VF SV6 Black Edition Sportswagon My17
Well i took it to auto elec last friday, the guy checked all the wirings for the cruise controll all seems PERFECT, stalk is PERFECt, Brakes switch is PERFECT, nothing is seems to be working. The elec guy said it maybe the module, but I tried 3 different module and they seems not to WORK!!! HELP HELP, i went down south 1,100 kms filled 2 1/2 tank should be less fuel!! dammit.

Swe11L , they can check the problems on ur car for nothing , if they find a problem, they tell u and CHARGE u. That how it works mate. Bloody machines!! :p

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
did he test the cruise control actuator in the engine bay?