Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[LS1] Daily Drive, Cam-Stall-Gears-Fuel economy?

Eastsyd

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vxii Ls1 Berlina Wagon
So this is my first commodore with an automatic build and I am still getting my head around cam size to stall rpm and final ratio.

What in your experience would be the largest cam specs before needing to up stall speed with 3.7 rears?

Is it possible to have a taller stall without uping fuel consumption?

Can you get a convertor that has "variable" stall speeds (lower under light throttle, flashes under WOT)?

My fuel usage is pretty high ATM so any thing under 20.5l/100k is decent, don't want to be higher!!

oh and I live in the city so a fair amount of traffic and red lights.

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
Adding a convertor will increase your consumption mainly with city driving, although if you get a smaller torquey cam that will pull from idle can in fact help with fuel consumption (as long as its tuned correctly).
No there's no such thing as variable stall speed, although a tight convertor won't 'slip' at low speeds so the depending on how you accellerate the convertor won't stall up and can be driven sedately or it can even under half throttle just get up and go without hitting its stall rpm.

From what I've heard/read/seen the largest cam that can be installed without a stall would be comp XER 224/230, although there are a lot cams that have higher lift that will produce similiar or more power something like comp LSL 219/227 as the LS1 heads like the extra lift.

If it were me I would choose a stall around the 3000-3500 that way you can have a smaller torquey cam or could go for bigger cams in the 230's

Panther_Brad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6ltr
I wldn bother with a stall converter for a street car I went the road of doing a shift kit and strengthening the box and now im converting to manual anyway the auto just isn't the same

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
I wldn bother with a stall converter for a street car I went the road of doing a shift kit and strengthening the box and now im converting to manual anyway the auto just isn't the same

have you been in a car with a stall????

Panther_Brad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6ltr
Yea I guess it's like everything else really I just think better off getting diff gears I think stally is a bit much for road use

enroh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE, 69 CAMARO!
Yea I guess it's like everything else really I just think better off getting diff gears I think stally is a bit much for road use

Are you for real????

----500rwhp corn juiced & boosted ls1----

Panther_Brad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6ltr
I've only really been in a fairly standard car with shift kit and stally so possibly why

Eastsyd

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vxii Ls1 Berlina Wagon
Going to give stock stall a try.
Cam is 218-224 on a 114 so will still be plenty of torque down low especially with the 3.7's. I'll let you know how it drives in traffic and consumption in a couple weeks.

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
I understand that cam will be somewhat torquey but moving the LSA to a lower number 111 or 112 will effectively increase torque and move it to a lower rpm

Do you know the manufacturer of that cam? hope its not a crow.........

Eastsyd

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vxii Ls1 Berlina Wagon
I understand that cam will be somewhat torquey but moving the LSA to a lower number 111 or 112 will effectively increase torque and move it to a lower rpm

Do you know the manufacturer of that cam? hope its not a crow.........

Na not Crow not enough lift, was going to go either a Come (.551/.551) or get cam tech to do one around those specs, and I've not fully committed to those numbers they are just in the area of what I am after. I would like to keep the tooling of the cam in Australia.

Not to keen on the rapid lift of comps lobes I cant stand rattly valve train.

Now don't anyone get upset its my opinion, you can disagree but please keep it civil, and give facts and real life situations.

Cheers