Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DAKSTERS VS Berlina

gradz

Land Yacht Lover
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Grange (Daily)
Neither of us are small, its cosy but not really cramped. Getting in and out is a learning process, especially with my old bones :rofl2:. Very awkward, but once in, its not bad at all.

I never got to drive but the pedals are really close together and Gradz was saying only a couple of his pairs of shoes could be worn because the edges of most shoes got caught on other pedals. Barefoot is the best way to drive it apparently :) but it didnt look uncomfortable, just snug.

A Cobra is about the size of an MG B; people forget that. It is only a small car, but instead of a tiny little four pot between the driver and passenger, there is a fairly wide V8, so some concessions have to be made in the footwells. As for the driving position, it is just as comfortable as the one in my WH Grange, just with a bit more breeze.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
In further news, old mate came over today to check out this VS project, in preparation for some mini tubs :) and the LS3 has gone to the father-in-laws tame mechanic, who is going to fit some more suitable pistons and toughen up the valve seats ready for gas.

He is also trying to convince me that a Harrop is the way to go, and since he is an old school dragster and most other opinions seem to agree, it looks like the blower will be a Harrop, probably running about 15psi.

I've picked up a (supposedly) recently reco'd TH700 for it, thats heading down to an Auto place to get rebuilt and beefed up, and will be running a 3000rpm stallie.

Manual is not an option for me, my legs cant do it, and I prefer an auto anyway being intrinsically lazy.

Anyone have any suggestions for an easy diff solution for about 450rwkw for an IRS VS? I am going to stick with the IRS, adding a camber kit of course, but not sure about what diff is easy to fit and tuff enuff?

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
A Cobra is about the size of an MG B; people forget that. It is only a small car, but instead of a tiny little four pot between the driver and passenger, there is a fairly wide V8, so some concessions have to be made in the footwells. As for the driving position, it is just as comfortable as the one in my WH Grange, just with a bit more breeze.

Surprisingly little breeze though. No wind in the hair, no loud wind noises. We were talking at normal volume and even your voice is clear on the video. The only time you can really hear any wind noise on the video is those occasions when I lifted the phone high, above the protection of the windscreen.

gradz

Land Yacht Lover
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Grange (Daily)
What pisses me off is that the faster you go, the less you can hear of that beautiful ford V8 orchestra. Above about 180, the rich aural cacophony turns into a buffeting and boysterous wind noise......... Love that car!!:yeah:

So, you are going down the race car route with your white beast then? And Why Bloody Not!!

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
So, you are going down the race car route with your white beast then? And Why Bloody Not!!

I am hoping no :) Old mate seems to think the mini tubs can be legally engineered and approved. Of course I will need an engineering certificate, but given that I am going from a dual duel ecotec to a blown gas only LS3, I suspect some kind of mod plate was always going to be needed for it anyway.

The Centura will be the race car (if I can ever get all the other projects done with first :( ) that thing was already running low 10s last time it hit a strip nearly 15 years ago, with a N.A 265 Hemi 6 pak E49. I'm thinking booooost.. but thats a long way down the track I suspect..

gradz

Land Yacht Lover
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Grange (Daily)
From my own experience, the best way is to find a tame engineer and keep him involved from go to whoa; that way, when it's crunch time for rego, he is already on top of all the mods. Things will then go more smoothly with Qld Transport as well.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
the boss made me remove this pic sorry..

Last edited:

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
I met this girl one time she was half my age..
we woke up together next morning and got engaged !

i dont know why but i want to rub your belly and go

'YOU OLD DOG'

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
lol it was a very long time ago but she was 17 and I was 34..