Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Damaged engine drive belt

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl v8 commodore
A hose clamp has exactly what to do with your first point about them asking what vehicle a red motor went into?

And as far as what they asked you when you asked for a hose clamp, i have no way of knowing what the conversation went like for them to feel the need to qualify what make and model it was. It's possible you didnt make yourself clear that you just wanted a hose clamp and they may have thought you wanted the heater hose (there's no need to specify you want a 3/4 heater hose clamp, you can use the clamp elsewhere, it's universal) as well.

Point still stands, it's ridiculous in 2018 to walk into a generic parts store and expect them to instantly know that when you say you have a "red" straight 6 Holden Motor, what you're talking about.

the holden red motor was made for over 23 years with most parts being common
, any one into cars even youngs ones today know what a red motor rocker gasket is
my point is just as another posters have said ,that parts sales kids are employed in jobs they don't know anything about,
there not experienced in or have worked in the motor trade before , that's my point that you seem to miss,and re my example about asking for 3/4 hose clamps
the young ones i have spoken to are studying at uni to do other things not related to cars at all, and are always coming and going .
years ago spare parts was a career with training done on sales and parts ect and sales guys knew straight away what you wanted

also i dont see where i said it was 2018 ,
please dont make up crap and say things i did not say
you always seem to craw out from under a rock to cause crap on forums with people
i don't know what your problem is but its the same pattern over and over with you, never starting a new post about something and enjoying our cars or products good or bad to share
just the same nitpicking crap
please dont quote my post as you never have a good thing to say and i cant be bothered with you
find another way to amuse you self, its because of people like you that members leave this forum
you never have a good thing to say just the same old rubbish

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Thread derailed.....

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I suspect a piece of wood or something...
I can envisage a small rock or such bouncing up and being caught by the belt, then subsequently marring the surface of the water pump pulley or some other pulley which further damages the belt in time. I'd think a small piece of wood would stay in the airstream under the vehicle.

When you get around to pulling the belt off this weekend, check each pulley rather carefully for any nicks or damage that line up with the damage on the belt. If you have any nicks or damage on the pulley's surface, you may be able to polish out the damage but if not, replacement would avoid a similar issue with your new belt.

Let us know how it goes ;)

Zehq

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF2 SV6 Black
, any one into cars even youngs ones today know what a red motor rocker gasket is
my point is just as another posters have said ,that parts sales kids are employed in jobs they don't know anything about,
there not experienced in or have worked in the motor trade before , that's my point that you seem to miss,and re my example about asking for 3/4 hose clamps
the young ones i have spoken to are studying at uni to do other things not related to cars at all, and are always coming and going .
years ago spare parts was a career with training done on sales and parts ect and sales guys knew straight away what you wanted

There's a reason those part shops don't exist anymore and it's cause Super Cheap's business strategy sent them out of business... clearly the cost of employing young and utilising technology effectively snowballs into allowing for cheaper prices and a higher variety of parts.

Sorry OP, derailed your thread again.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
^
Yep, SCA started a slide to the bottom in the knowledge stakes but dealership spare staff should be well trained and know what they are doing as id think it’s a different retail segment.

Some dealership spare parts staff are great and knowledgeable in their use of the system but sadly some don’t seem to know which side of the bread to butter.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
No. In 2018 a vehicle with a red motor would not be common.

Assuming because a motor was used for a long time means that people into cars today have to know every name for every motor is downright stupid.
that's a big assumption and generalisation. Well done. :rolleyes:
there not experienced in or have worked in the motor trade before , that's my point that you seem to miss,
You don't need to know how to spin a spanner to sell one.

and re my example about asking for 3/4 hose clamps
So what? It's not a prerequisite to work in a retail parts store to have prior industry experience. I've never met a person that worked at a parts store that wasn't in some way interested in cars though. And I daresay my experience and exposure to it beats your ignorant weekend warrior approach.
And if people don't want a parts interpreter career for $21 an hour then they'll probably go to university and get s job in a field they want. But in the meantime if they want to work in a parts store the companies incest a LOT of time, money and training into creating a product that with a few simple questions ensures the customer gets the part they need. Picking errors, as I fear @Ron Burgundy experienced happen, and that's nothing to do with somebodies interest in cars.
also i dont see where i said it was 2018 ,
please dont make up crap and say things i did not say
You ******* what, mate? Where did I say that you said it was 2018? Perhaps if you go back and read what I typed, slowly this time. You won't be so confused. :rolleyes:

you always seem to craw out from under a rock to cause crap on forums with people
i don't know what your problem is but its the same pattern over and over with you,

Mate, you've been here less than a year and your contribution to this forum is less than 100 posts. I'd bet, with great confidence that I've helped more people during my time here than you have.
never starting a new post about something and enjoying our cars or products good or bad to share
just the same nitpicking crap
Riiiight...sure. because you've read every single one of my posts over the past 10 years to come to that conclusion? I think even in this thread alone I provided some positive information. Are you just making this up as you go along bud?
please dont quote my post as you never have a good thing to say and i cant be bothered with you
find another way to amuse you self, its because of people like you that members leave this forum
you never have a good thing to say just the same old rubbish
Yeah, no thanks. I think I'll keep calling people out on the garbage that they post as I see fit.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
^

Some dealership spare parts staff are great and knowledgeable in their use of the system but sadly some don’t seem to know which side of the bread to butter.
You get the good with the bad in retail and trade. Those that slide through the cracks and just plod along doing an average job.

As I posted before, the software that is being built into retail and workshop environments is incredibly powerful and does away with needing that one person out the back who remembers all the obscure part numbers. It also saves the business and the customer time spent going through paper parts books only to find a potentially outdated part number.

The upside is, you can put somebody with little to no real experience in front of the system and they can pull up the same part numbers as somebody with 30 years of experience. The downside is, sometimes you get one or two people who rely on the spiel too much and end up asking if it's an auto or manual for wiper inserts.