Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dceivdu's new 5 litre!

DCEIVDU

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN SSV Enhanced 5.0, 1999 VT S Pac ll 3.8
Progress :)

In the last week or more i have gotten some more bits and piece prepped, primed and some parts painted. The sv 5000 kit is no more. I have finished painting the rear bar and shot 2 coats of clear just to make it look a bit less **** haha. will do another 2 to 3 coats at a later date to achieve that mirror finish that the rest of the car has (aside from the scratches etc from mechanics and general wear and tear). Oh yeah one more thing, My trans is leaking... Only just put another one in. Am i wrong to assume that gaskets get replaced when getting the trans swapped over? i paid $250 to get it installed (remember he is cheap with his work so to me that seems like a price that includes gaskets.) I will throw in some fluid and some stop leak and see how that goes but definitely not a permanent fix.

Got a little sidetracked but back on topic, the grill is also painted and cleared and looking very pretty :D Also HID's have been ditched and reverted back to Narva intense globes. Bottom piece of rear bar painted and cleared. Aero stereo surround got the black treatment with a couple coats of gloss. looks nice imo. Haven't bothered with door moulds as yet, reason being is they look like the worst job imaginable to fit and i want to test fit and mark all the holes etc before i even bother painting them as i know i will ruin it if i paint them and try to fit them all at once.

There is something else i have noticed. I Took it for about a 10 minute drive the other day just to blow out any cobwebs and run any new fluid in. The engine still makes a bit of a tapping noise but it appears to be running a hell of a lot better than before i took it to the mechanic, aside from the trans leak. No idea but for now i will hold off from replacing the engine and i will leave the camshaft package sitting on the shelf until i have got a newer motor in.

Lastly if anyone can help me out with this SSV badge that'd be great. I assume it has been enhanced by sydney special vehicles but it hasnt shed any light on what base my car is. VIN indicates that it could be S, SS or executive... is that right?

I think it could be an SV90 LE or whatever they are but thats just a semi-educated guess haha.

Ive talked enough for now i think, here are some snaps:

20140620_204518_zpsc31be8ab.jpg

20140622_170439_zps1bcb1c79.jpg

20140622_212718_zps57139177.jpg

20140628_105629_zpsca25ba19.jpg

20140628_105640_zps09e5d46a.jpg

20140628_204441_zps759bada4.jpg

20140629_095224_zps536aef15.jpg

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Pretty sure the SSV (Sydney Special Vehicles) were fitted to any car that wore their fiberglass bodykits. (back in the day)
Was just something else to tell everyone you had one of their kits on your car.

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
She is looking really good mate. I'm yet to read your entire thread but backend looks a tonne tidier with the extra black

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Am i wrong to assume that gaskets get replaced when getting the trans swapped over? i paid $250 to get it installed

I think you assumed wrong.

I can't remember the last time I saw a mechanic regardless of the reputation just change gaskets etc over on an engine/trans swap that was customer supplied (or even one they have sourced)

Generally the only time you will get that is if you request it to be done during fitment or they call and ask your approval to do so.

Don't put stop leak **** in, if its leaking from the trans pan then just replace the pan gasket, its an easy job to do and the gasket is like $15 (you will however loose your trans fluid so you will need to do that too)

Is the noise coming from the motor more of a ticking or a knocking/thumping? can we get a vid of this noise?

DCEIVDU

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN SSV Enhanced 5.0, 1999 VT S Pac ll 3.8
Pretty sure the SSV (Sydney Special Vehicles) were fitted to any car that wore their fiberglass bodykits. (back in the day)
Was just something else to tell everyone you had one of their kits on your car.

Had no idea that my SV 5000 was from SSV. probably shouldn't of sold it for 100 bucks...

Thanks for the enlightening info none the less :)

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Hard to tell from that vid, but whatever it is doesn't sound too good.