Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Debaging Your Car

Wombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX-II Lumina Sedan
There is one reason why people bought things like Toyota Lexcen's and the "Nissan Ute" (XF Falcon ute) which came out during the big mid-eighties "badge engineering" craze all the car manufacturers went wild with.
The main thing was the warrantee...one instance I heard of was a guy buying a Nissan Ute and his mates laughing at him..."Why didn't you buy a Falcon ute you idiot instead of that stupid thing?". He smiled and said "This exact same car from Ford comes with a 12 month/20,000 km warrantee...from Nissan badged as a Nissan Ute, I get the standard Nissan 2 year/40,000 warrantee"....That shut them up...clever thinking... :yeah:

There was a downside however...the Ford Maverick (actually a Nissan Patrol) had the Ford standard warrantee of 12/20,000 instead of the Nissan Patrol 2 year/40,000 warrantee... :mad: ...no idea why...

soulyouth

Space Docker
Reaction score
Members Ride
Sold for scrap :(
Like what has been said

It’s really just what you or the old owner thought looked good. Like with my VR I spun out as my mates had a VN and a VP which both had V6 badges and my VR didn't, found out later the VR's didn't come out with that badge.

Personally I like the look of both a De-badged car, and a car with them, on my car once its looking good with a coat of new paint, I'd love to put some VS statesman badges on the front and back (the black round ones), piss of the Holden badge as the front and back ones give that away already LOL, as for the Calais badge would take it off to and put either a VT or a VZ Calais badge in its place.

R

rattattack1313

I think that all they are good for , on the car, is collecting dirt and moisture, and creating rust holes...I love my de-badged VeePee...... easy as to wash.......... ;)

holdenrules

Reaction score
I am a bit disappointed that the new models don't actually have the word HOLDEN on them, just the lion emblem :cry: (to collect the gunk and water as correctly pointed out by RatAttack!)

I absolutely *loved* the way they have incorporated the HOLDEN on the VT's, both on the sedan (inside the boot garnish with chrome, so it can be seen from the outside) and on the wagons (inside the tailgate glass), and it can't be removed or collect crap underneath that can rust. :cool: But I also agree that the lion must definitely be present also.

Every single model had the word HOLDEN somewhere until the VX :( Call me a purist, but I am proud of the company and it's heritage - heck, if my 48-215, VP and VT all have it, why shouldn't all the others! :D They are Holdens after all ... :ranting: (I hope someone from Holden/someone who knows someone at Holden reads this, so there might be a chance for the VE!)

VSTrev

The Stig!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS & VS Ute
I really don't understand why people remove the badges from their car. Sure the car may look cleaner but I am so proud to drive my Commodore and to show the Holden Badges that go with that. I don't care that it is only a V6 executive, i still love driving her.

A couple of years ago someone stole the lion off the back of my commodore and you guys are right, probably because they are jelous or want that extra kws that the badge gives you. But i went straight to holden and bought another one. They are only like $1 each or something. I think you could buy a bag of 20 or 50 or something and they work out to be around 20 cents each. Why steel them?

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
I lost the badge off the front of my car the other day. And god damn I'm glad its gone.

HOLDEN, INJECTION, SL, TURBO.. Who needs badges. I had one on my car and it was a newish Holden Badge, and that was on the front nose cone. And I'm glad its gone.

Most people that see the car should know what it is anyway. And if they don't then they shouldn't even be worried.

holdenrules

Reaction score
If they incorporated the words into the panels and parts (a la VT style mentioned above) then we wouldn't have the de-badging problem! Discreet and not overbearing :)

For those of us that actually love the beautiful shining lion badge on the front and back, I wish they didn't make them out of that plastic crap. Once you get a small crack in the chrome plating, it starts to peel off. Never happened with the old badges that were actually made of metal that clipped on the inside of the panels ... and no punk arse kids could rip them off either!

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
"I am a bit disappointed that the new models don't actually have the word HOLDEN on them"

get some of those crappy looking HOLDEN mudflaps lol (i had a pair on my old datsun of all things...)

clixanup

Has Left
Reaction score
Wombat said:
There is one reason why people bought things like Toyota Lexcen's and the "Nissan Ute" (XF Falcon ute) which came out during the big mid-eighties "badge engineering" craze all the car manufacturers went wild with.

That wasn't the car manufacturers' decision. It was imposed upon them by the government under the guise of the "Button" plan, which was designed to turn the (then nearly dying) Australian car industry around. It seems Senator Button was correct in his way of thinking, because our car industry is now stronger than ever. It was for this reason you saw Toyota Corollas & Camrys badged as Holdens, Mazdas badged as Fords, etc.

richie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Commodore 3.8V6
on my vsII acclaim ive taken off:

the abs on back window
both srs things on the sides (leaves a dark rectangle but can only see it up close)
the holden off the back (now on my window sill :p)
the series II badge from under the acclaim bit (superglued it to the slanted bit infront of the hand brake handle - looks good
the acclaim obviously, which broke when i was getting it off. oh well

what im wondering about is the ECOTEC V6 under the repeaters

you guys normally take them off aswell?

i dont want to look like a lamer trying to make people think its a v8 or something, im proud of the six goddamnit!

v8's are too much to insure for me (19yo)

so what you reckon? there is alot of paint marking in the open bits of the V6 badge (white car so its like, light brown in the holes of the badge)

you reckon it would look **** / try hard if i took them off?

also took off all the stickers fkn solar tint and pedders put on there
solartint put on 3 ffs