Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Decent Roadworthy Testers in Werribee/Hoppers Crossing VIC?

vnkid

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Calais
It's a precarious position. On one hand it could be seen as a stimulus measure? People need it done and getting it done will generate work for the Mechanical industry. On the another hand, it would serve to make our roads safer from unroadworthy cars. But frankly i think more Mechanics will forgo the responsibility, people will not be able to afford the additional red tape and in effect just makes people more annoyed. Your pick.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
$200 out of a single income family, yes it's expensive for us, especially if for some reason I have to fork out with another inspection fee because for some reason it doesn't pass again within the measly 7 days given to rectify any rejected items. The amount of crap I have had to do and go through to get the car roadworthy is enough and Im not the one getting paid for it. . They're getting paid a pretty penny for something that is for the foreseeable future going to be an in demand service, and for which any tools/equipment etc they have to buy to comply can be claimed back on tax I think they don't have much to whinge about.

If you can't afford to maintain a car and keep it on the road, then don't have one. If you maintain the car regularly, it shouldn't need a whole list of things fixed to pass a roadworthy, therefore it shouldn't be a big deal.

RK5TAR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6 Manual
I just recently bought the car . Nothing about affording to maintain it at all, but thank you for reviving that old chestnut.

I see others thought the rates were expensive. I agree if it is more than a once off it is expensive. You disagree, ke sera sera.

I'm sure there is a separate thread you can start up if you wish to discuss what is involved in a RWC and clarify the work, equipment and costs involved in complying with the new rules.
I think it would be an insightful read.

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
Just found my paper work. $88 for my rwc. some funny items i seen were window water sprayers not straight. needed short shocks in the rear. auto gear stick not holding D. the pin fell out lol.

RK5TAR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6 Manual
That was one of mine. The circlip was missing from the linkage and the gear shift was at risk of popping out. Plus the gear shift moves when in gear. The mechanic spent ages on it and replaced the circlip. He keeps saying it wont get any firmer than it is now he's fixed it. Even with a brand new linkage he said there is some slack in it?
I had 17 items rejected. One was a drop of brake flluid on my front caliper where my brakes were replaced a week ago. (A wipe with a cloth would have clarified it wasnt a leak, just a leftover smudge fromt he work already done). But they listed it anyway. The other was the child booster seat not tethered into the car. (Its a spare "just in case") So Ive removed it from the car as its not "part" of the car. The rest was warranted I think and it has made the car so much better to drive since its been fixed. So all in all I dont mind having to go and have the car checked for roadworthy, as now I know that I have everything up to scratch (shall know for sure this week). I know I wouldnt have known about the circlip and potential for the gearshift to pop out without it. How screwed would I have been if that happened?
The cost aside I just wish there was more of an open book thing with regard to what to look for to get a car roadworthy. Some things I wouldnt have thought of, and the info on vicroads is a bit vague. You check and change your seat belts, brakes, tyres and make sure nothing is hanging off or leaking, but some of the items you have no way of knowing. Especially if its a recent purchase youre not used to the feel of to know if somethings not right. Its almost as though its set up to make more work for the tester and the car owner. Whereas if there was a comprehensive checklist available online you could take that to the mechanic and have them go over it and know whats what. I'd already spent over $1500 by the time I got to roadworthy and thats just gone up by another $800 by today to hopefully finish the work and trying to get it done within the 7 days they give you to take it back before you have to pay for another full RW inspection.

RK5TAR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6 Manual
Well my car has passed roadworthy. Thanks again to Matt for his recommendation of Complete Mechanical. I am really happy with how they conduct themselves from booking in until now. I am one happy camper. Now thats out the way, it's time to play and get car how I want it to look. Sports exhaust is first on my list! Then different interior and maybe a colour change for the outside down the track.