Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

deep dish rims

blasta1

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE
i do believe i just got a stiffy that gto is like wow and 19s not 20s

cheesy_j

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SS
I love the look of some dish. I just picked these up from the states.
Couldn't be happier. If u want dish I gotta do some research. There aren't many around but the ones that are out there look good
73d49175.jpg

bc481a04.jpg

Hunter SS

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS

johncaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice V. 6.0L
Very confusing. Been looking for awhile now for wheels and tyres for my black WM Caprice V but theres a lot of crap out there. Tyre dealers are numbskulls and cant answer genuine questions from potential buyers. I hav lowered the car the car to lowest legal height (ssl) and it looks great, but I am looking for satin or flat black deep dish old school wheels with fat rubber on rear. I understand I can go s wide as 275s but need to roll the guards. I don't mind rolling the guards to achieve the look as long as the wheels are right and the stance is stealth and low. Is there anywhere I can go in Melbourne to find some accurate information?

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Depends where in Melbourne you are but if you're in the east give Troy at Jax Bayswater a call he should be able to set you up.

brasher

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
Very confusing. Been looking for awhile now for wheels and tyres for my black WM Caprice V but theres a lot of crap out there. Tyre dealers are numbskulls and cant answer genuine questions from potential buyers. I hav lowered the car the car to lowest legal height (ssl) and it looks great, but I am looking for satin or flat black deep dish old school wheels with fat rubber on rear. I understand I can go s wide as 275s but need to roll the guards. I don't mind rolling the guards to achieve the look as long as the wheels are right and the stance is stealth and low. Is there anywhere I can go in Melbourne to find some accurate information?

Wheel/Tyre shops will give you a super conservative fitment to avoid issues.

between the members here, there are quite a few of us with quite aggressive fitments, so there is plenty of knowledge to share about what works in the real world.

in 10 inch rear widths, +35 with 275's you will need to roll the guards, grind down or relocate the rear bumper bracket and that should suffice.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997

I agree with Brasher.

The key to buying the correct wheel is knowing the offset of the wheel you are looking at to ensure you do not buy a wheel that will protrude too far out.

Your stock wheels are +48 mm offset in 18 x 8 inch size. If you buy a LOWER offset wheel (eg 35 mm offset) of the same rim width or wider it will protrude further out towards the outside of the body work. If you buy a HIGHER offset wheel (eg. 54 mm offset) of the same rim width as the stock wheel it is going to sit further into the wheel well.

FRONT: For the front you are no doubt looking at 8 or 8.5 or 9 inch wide wheels. Anything in the offset range of +35 mm to +45 mm (which are commonly found in after market wheels ) will be fine. Use a 245 or 255 wide tyre eg for 20 inch wheels 245 35 20 or 255 35 20 and for 19 inch 245 40 19 or 255 40 19

REAR: IF you want 275 wide rear tyre you will need a wheel 9 inch or 9.5 inch or 10 inch wide. Offset is critical in picking your wheel as you do not want the wheel protruding out too far.
For example a 35 mm offset wheel 10 inches wide will see the outside edge of the wheel sitting virtually in the same position as face of your rear bodywork. You can use a 275 wide tyre on a 35 offset 10 inch rim when the guards are fully rolled but you will see that the far outside face of the tyre sits fairly closely in line with the inside edge of the guard.

HSV use a 56mm offset on their 9.5 inch wheels with 275 tyres so that much of the additional rim width sits inside the wheel well rather than protruding outwards. Hence clearance inside the wheel wells is perfect.

Whether it is 9 or 9.5 or 10 inch wide rims you are seeking, you should choose the highest offset available and do not choose an offset under +35 mm. Again, typically you will find the wheels available in those widths to be in +35mm to + 45mm offset and perhaps a few between +46mm and + 55mm or so but definitely not many in that higher offset range.

If you are running the standard Caprice 8 x18 inch wheels at present and the 245 45 18 tyres then the additional protrusion with new rear wheels and 275 wide tyres fitted, compared to your stock wheels and tyres will be as follows :--

For 9 or 9.5 or 10 inch rims fitted with 275 tyres fitted .................(with a 285 wide tyre fitted add 5 mm to those protrusion numbers)

+35mm offset wheel + 28 mm additional protusion compared with the stock set up

+40mm offset wheel +23 mm additional protusion

+45mm offset wheel + 18 mm additional protusion

+50mm offset wheel + 13 mm additional protusion

Check the rears of your current set up and you will see there is not a lot of space between the inside lip of the guard and the outside face of the tyre. Any 9 to 10 inch wide wheel with a 35mm to 45 mm offset fitted with a 275 wide tyre is going to require the rear guard lips to be rolled to prevent rubbing on the tyre given sufficient suspension movement.

When you buy your wheels ensure they include the correct size hub rings for the wheels. The wheel bores on the after market wheels will be significantly larger than the hub on your car and the hub rings are essential to fill the gap and ensure your new wheels sit perfectly hub centric on your hub (as the factory wheels do which have the correct bore size for the hub). If you do not fit the hub rings your wheels will not sit perfectly on centre and of course at speed you will encounter vibrations (like you feel with out of balance wheels).

As for wheel outlets in MEL, I cannot recommend anyone but I have read one or 2 very good reviews from a few Commodore people who found the personal face to face help from FDO Wheels in 1/772 Burwood Hwy,Ferntree Gully to be quite good. They also have a web site.

johncaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice V. 6.0L
Whoa you guys are all over this stuff. I need to read your responses at least a half a dozen times and then maybe I'll get some of it to sink in. One thing I do realise is that to achieve the look I want I'll need to spend big bucks damn it. With your advise I'll start hunting. Cheers.